Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Raid setup and blue screen

• Please log in to reply

cgoodman381

cgoodman381

• Pip
  • 4 posts
So my friends motherboard went out on his computer. I replaced it with a cheap decent board (ASUS M2N-MX SE PLUS AM2+ 6100 RT)

The person who originally built his computer put it together a raid configuration (0).

I do not have a lot of experience with raid configurations, which is why I'm here. I put the new mobo in and everything started up ok. Entered setup and activated raid configuration. On startup if I go into raid configuration everything looks ok and displays it as a healthy setup.

My problem is, windows (xp) starts and the loading bar is displayed, but the computer then freezes, displays a blue screen then restarts. I have tried starting with his windows XP disc to use the repair console, but with the raid configuration it sais that it cannot find any hard drives to repair. I dont know what else I can do.

Thanks in advance for your time and help.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
You need to feed Windows Setup with a driver by pressing F6 when prompted. Then choose the appropriate one(s) and then do a Windows Repair. The console won't help you here, its a full-blown repair you need.

You can get the F6 driver from Asus's website for your board.

cgoodman381

cgoodman381

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I tried pressing f6 when windows cd was loading. I couldn't get anything to come up. I assume I'm missing something? I will look for the drivers as soon as I get a chance.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
My bad I should have mentioned you need a floppy disk and a floppy disk drive for F6 to be of any use. When you set up XP it comes up across the bottom of the screen "press F6 if you want to load additional drivers", that's when you do it.

cgoodman381

cgoodman381

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Well I tried making a raid floppy disc, but it failed to copy most of the files. (only did 2 out of 10 or so) Looks like I either have a bad floppy disk or drive. Ill pick up some new ones tonight and see how it goes.

cgoodman381

cgoodman381

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I was able to make the raid disk ok, but when I try and hit f6 when using the windows cd, nothing happens. I am able to hit f2, but that is something different I believe. Any suggestions on how to fix this?