Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows Vista won't boot, UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME

• Please log in to reply

tsukihoshi

tsukihoshi

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
I am at a total loss of what happened or what to do. I recently received help from this forum to remove malware on my laptop and the process was a success. My laptop ran just fine for a few days. But yesterday, all of a sudden the OS won't even load for me. I can't even describe the problem in words properly so I will post pictures of my screen I took with my digicam.

I have a Dell laptop that came with it's own Windows Vista. The CD that came with it says "Windows Vista Home Premium 32BIT".

I was using my laptop yesterday night, but I left it for a few minutes to do something else. When I came back, the screen showed the system recovery screen:
Posted Image

Clicking the second option, "System restore", gives me this error:
Posted Image

The third one, "Windows Complete PC Restore" gives me:
Posted Image

I can access Commad Prompt but I don't know what to write in it.

When I click the first option "Startup Repair", it appears to go through the process, but when it restarts, it takes me to a black screen with a "Windows failed to start" message. There are 2 options: "Launch Startup Repair" and "Start Windows normally":
Posted Image
The first one brings me back to the system recovery screen again. Before taking me to the system recovery screen though, another prompt comes out:
Posted Image
There is no operating system to choose from, and I don't know what it means by Load Drivers, so I click next and I'm back at the system recovery screen. This repeats everytimg I click startup repair.

If I choose to start windows normally, I get a really quick flash of a blue screen with an error message before it reboots and the cycle continues. I managed to catch a bit of the message with my camera but it is a bit blurry due to the speed of the message:
Posted Image
Basically the error message is "UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME".

Please help me. My last resort is to reformat the laptop but I want to save the data that's in there, if I possibly can. But I can't even get Windows to boot. Is there any way at all to retrieve my files before I reformat?

Thanks in advance,
Karen

Advertisements

PedroDaGR8

PedroDaGR8

• PipPipPip
  • 786 posts

I am at a total loss of what happened or what to do. I recently received help from this forum to remove malware on my laptop and the process was a success. My laptop ran just fine for a few days. But yesterday, all of a sudden the OS won't even load for me. I can't even describe the problem in words properly so I will post pictures of my screen I took with my digicam.

I have a Dell laptop that came with it's own Windows Vista. The CD that came with it says "Windows Vista Home Premium 32BIT".

I was using my laptop yesterday night, but I left it for a few minutes to do something else. When I came back, the screen showed the system recovery screen:
Posted Image

Clicking the second option, "System restore", gives me this error:
Posted Image

The third one, "Windows Complete PC Restore" gives me:
Posted Image

I can access Commad Prompt but I don't know what to write in it.

When I click the first option "Startup Repair", it appears to go through the process, but when it restarts, it takes me to a black screen with a "Windows failed to start" message. There are 2 options: "Launch Startup Repair" and "Start Windows normally":
Posted Image
The first one brings me back to the system recovery screen again. Before taking me to the system recovery screen though, another prompt comes out:
Posted Image
There is no operating system to choose from, and I don't know what it means by Load Drivers, so I click next and I'm back at the system recovery screen. This repeats everytimg I click startup repair.

If I choose to start windows normally, I get a really quick flash of a blue screen with an error message before it reboots and the cycle continues. I managed to catch a bit of the message with my camera but it is a bit blurry due to the speed of the message:
Posted Image
Basically the error message is "UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME".

Please help me. My last resort is to reformat the laptop but I want to save the data that's in there, if I possibly can. But I can't even get Windows to boot. Is there any way at all to retrieve my files before I reformat?

Thanks in advance,
Karen

Try running scandisk from the command prompt. Maybe this will detect some errors and fix them.