Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Wierd Connectivity Problem

• Please log in to reply

bbrafman

bbrafman

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Wierd Connectivity Problem

I am a SBC Yahoo! DSL subscriber. I have the 2Wire router with 1 Ethernet, 1 USB and WiFi.

My home network consists of an older Win98SE machine, connected via USB, and two Win XP laptops, connected with Ethernet and/or WiFi.

Sometime back, the Win98SE machine stopped being able to browse (IE and Firefox) consistently with DSL (one or two pages OK, but then "Page Not Found"), but dial-up worked fine. I tried everything and ended up reformatting and re-installing. It was all good for a few months, but now is doing it again!

I have tried:
Norton 2004
Spybot
Thorough Scandisk
Remove and Rebuild Communications
Remove and Rebuild Winsock and Winsock2

I dread having to reformat and reinstall again, particularly if I need to do it over and over again.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Advertisements

Hemal

Hemal

Founding Fart

• Technician
  • 1,470 posts
Is the firmware updated on the router- having an older machine like win98 can sometimes cause it itself being a little outdated for the router that shares the connection with windows xp- have you tried using a network disk made from the windows xp computers on the win98 computer?

bbrafman

bbrafman

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Firmware is current. Not sure what you mean by "using a network disk made from the windows xp computers on the win98 computer?"

Thanks!

Hemal

Hemal

Founding Fart

• Technician
  • 1,470 posts
When installing a computer on the network using windows xp- the network wizard asks you if you would like to create a network setup disk or continue on with the installation...i would advise running the wizard again on your laptop and when it asks you if you would like to create a network disk click yes and then follow the instructions and put the disk in your win98 computer and run the installation- should work

bbrafman

bbrafman

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I used the SBC Yahoo! CD to install...should I redo this with the XP Wizard?

Thanks!