Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

cpu hog (dont know the cause)

• Please log in to reply

hayrider007

hayrider007

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
hi

a helper of the tech team told me to post my problem here as we failed to fix my problem

heres the link to our attempt:
http://www.geekstogo...59#entry1319659

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
If the recent HiJack This log in the other thread is still valid save for the removal of the malware, then the first thing I'd ask if why have you got Windows Defender and McAfee running on the same machine? Is that McAfee Internet Security?

The first thing I'd recommend is disable one or the other. If the McAfee's licence has expired get rid of it. McAfee, IMO, has surpassed Norton as being the most useless piece of Internet Security software I've ever seen. It only finds things if something else has already flagged them up.

If McAfee is in date, disable Windows Defender, instructions are here:
http://lifehacker.co...nder-318339.php

hayrider007

hayrider007

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
yea i uninstalled mcaffee a few days ago. realized it was pretty crap....
i cant blame myself tho coz its sponsored by my ISP (can you beleive it... :) )

The Admiral

The Admiral

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 1,067 posts
It looks like you mentioned DCom Launcher in your first post - is this the svchost that is freezing up? How do you know?

You can use Task Manager to view which services are running under each instance of
svchost.exe.

1. Open Task Manager by right-clicking the taskbar and then clicking Task Manager.
2. Click the Processes tab.
3. Click Show processes from all users. Administrator permission required. You may
be prompted for an administrator password or confirmation.
4. Right-click an instance of svchost.exe, and then click Go to Service(s). The services
associated with the process will be highlighted on the Services tab.

Is Windows all up to date?

Do you have a Windows Vista CD?

Edited by The Admiral, 01 September 2008 - 07:34 AM.

hayrider007

hayrider007

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
the svchost.exe doesnt freeze up it just starts hogging my cpu usage.

i did all the processes stuff and found that the services associated with it are plug and play and Dcom launch
windows is up to date and i have the original CD.

hayrider007

hayrider007

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
help please???????????? :)

hayrider007

hayrider007

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
is it possible the lag could be caused by my cpu not getting adequate cooling? or something...

hayrider007

hayrider007

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
as i write this i feel extremely excited to say ive found the bane of my cpu's existence.
the problem seemed to be caused by some element of nokia pc suite which i had obtained around the time the lag started along with my new n73.
the reason i suppressed the thought of it being the problem was because nokia was one of my most trusted companies. i have now learned my lesson that nokia only makes good phones not good software lol.

id like to thank you all who have contemplated to the depths of their knowledge what the problem could have been, especially eddie.

thanks a lot guys :)

eddie5659

eddie5659

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,980 posts
  • MVP
Been watching this one, as I was curious what it could have been as well. Will remember that one now :)

Glad to hear its all working okay :)