Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Serious Error on Start Up?

• Please log in to reply

MarcosL

MarcosL

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Alright, I am having a serious problem, or so it seems anyway, I was wondering if anyone knows anything about computer errors on start up.. well, actually before start up..

If you guys have windows XP which is obvious that you do, you would reconize that screen that gives you the option to press f8(or f12..I don't remember) to go to the option screen or f10 to go to system recovery.. right after you turn on the computer and then would, or in my case, should, blink for a second to a screen that says "Windows XP" with a loading bar below it?

Yeah well my doesn't do that like it's suppose to.

After it blinks from the two button option screen, I get the following long message which I don't really get nor do I know how to back up my data.. anyways here's the message that I keep getting.

Phoenix- Award BIOS v6.00PG, an energy Star Ally Copyright(k)
1984-2004, Phoenix Technologies, LTD

Copyright 2004by Hewlett-Packard Company
Rev. 3.03
Main processor: AMD ATHON™ XP 2000+
Memory Test: 458752K OK +64m Shared memory

L2 Cache Size: 512 KB
System BIOS Shadow Status: Shadowed
System VIDEO BIOS shadow status: Shadowed
UMB upper limit segment address: F000H
PS/2 Mouse initialization Status: Plugged

IDE Channel 0 Master: WDC WDE00BB-22FJA1-1403G14
IDE Channel 0 Slave: None
IDE Channel 1 Master: SAMSUNG DVD-Rom Sd-616E FS03
IDE Channel 1 Slave: Asus crw-4832as 0.67

IDE Channel 2 Master: None
Primary master hard disk S.M.A.R.T status bad
Warning: Immediate back-up your data and replace your hard disk drive. A failure may be imminent.

And I already tried do System Recovery.. The advance one and the, well, normal one.. and like I said, I have no idea what this really means and I don't know how to back up data and replace my hard disk drive.. so can someone put this in better terms and help me out please?

Needless to say, this started to happen since I downloaded a game which was called Dodge something.. it tons of free games and trials..anyways yeah, please help.

Also, I do think the warrent is up however I am not sure.. and i don't know where the papers are at.

Edited by MarcosL, 31 August 2008 - 07:49 AM.

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
the message is telling you the primary hard drive is failing...or at a minimum having some serious issues...
try running chkdsk /r...lowdown is here...
use safe mode with command prompt to do this...
Chkdsk will display the specific stage it is checking as well as the percentage of completion of the stage.
there are 5 stages....
it may appear to stop or hang...DO NOT POWER OFF YOUR SYSTEM while chkdsk is running or you will have serious problems...
it may also get to a certain % of completion and then back up and go over the same area again...this is normal...this can also take a long time depending on how big the hard drive is....

Edited by happyrck, 31 August 2008 - 07:03 AM.

MarcosL

MarcosL

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Alright, here is what I did.

Run > msconfig > BOOT.INI > /SAFEBOOT > OK.

Then, as expected, it restarted and went to safe mode. From there, I went to:

Start > My Computer > Right clicked on both drivers (HP_Pavilion(C:) and HP Recovery(D:)

NOTE: Figured I would do both of them.. that and wasn't sure which one to do as I am not very familiar with drivers.)

Properties > Tools > Check Now > Checked both boxes and then waited.

Both of them got done and I still get the same thing.