Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

slow internet or slow computer?

• Please log in to reply

RunninTwentiFo7

RunninTwentiFo7

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
so my mom has been wanting to watch videos online, but its been really frustrating because videos never play fully. It will load for a sec and stop and load and stop and load and stop. it won't play all the way through. We have at&t DSL, and i'm convinced that our internet speed is the problem. however my mom thinks it is my computer. I remember a while ago when we had cable internet that I had no problems. My mom said that her friend has the same internet as we do, and she doesn't have problems watching videos. so whats the problem? Is there something wrong with my computer or do we need faster internet?

btw. can a router affect how fast your internet is? I think we have a really cheap crappy router hooked up to my computer so thats the only reason i can think that would slow it down. Otherwise my computer is fairly clean. i have checked for spyware adware and all that junk and I dont have any.

Advertisements

lavagolemking

lavagolemking

• PipPipPip
  • 282 posts
That sounds like the bandwidth. Either your internet speed is too slow, or if (as your mom says) you have a perfectly fast Internet Service Provider (ISP), then it could be someone else on the network using up your bandwidth.

Is your router secure? Do you need a password to connect to it? Someone else (a neighbor, probably) could be connecting to it. Many routers are set to their default network name (SSID) with no encryption (password), so anyone nearby can log in, stream a few videos, and your internet speed gets used up.

To secure the router, go to http://192.168.1.1/ (username/password is probably admin for one of the fields), and set the encryption to WPA, WPA2 (personal, if that option is given), PSK, or PSK-AES. Then enter a password, and whoever is on the network will need that password. If that doesn't solve it, run an online speed test (I usually use performance.toast.net), run their test, and give the results to your ISP citing a low bandwidth.