Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Program folders and files

• Please log in to reply

cram

cram

• PipPip
  • 31 posts
I cannot acess program files or folders on C Drive. I have tried to do this using the 'my computer' icon on the desk top. I have tried the 'my computer' 'other places on the 'my documents screen. Each time I try and access a message 'windows explorer has encountered a problem and needs to close.

I would be very grateful if someone could offer a suggestion.

I cannot find any nasties on the machine that may be causing this.

I am running xp home 2002, service pack three

Cheers

Ethan

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
First you need to go to the malware forum and read this thread.

http://www.geekstogo...-Log-t2852.html

SRX660

cram

cram

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
Thank you

Will do

Cram

cram

cram

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
I have followed your instructions and begun the 'you must read this before....' and reached the point where it says to download MalwareBytes Anti Malware. When I go to the download link I get the following message "MalwareBytes AntiMalware has a potentially serious bug. This link has been disabled until that bug is resolved"

I then went to the home page and it is still active but I hesitate to download it now because of the above message.

I would appreciate knowing what to do.

Thank you

Cram

Edited by cram, 02 September 2008 - 05:49 AM.

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
Malware Byte's is an excellent tool but if you are having issues with it you can move on to the next step.

cram

cram

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
Any other tool you would suggest that would be advisable to use before moving to the next step

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Administrator
  • 20,959 posts
  • MVP
That bug has been corrected and the file is available for download again.

cram

cram

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
Thanks. Will start again from scratch tomorrow to ensure done properly.

Bedtime in Australia

Nighty Night

cram

cram

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
Received a Subscription Reply Notification, problem is I can't read these messages in my emails although they are very useful in telling me that there has been a new post in this forum.

Problem is as soon as I click on these messages from you, Explorer instantly closes so I have been relying on the forum messages to stay informed.

I can read the first few characters in the subject heading, it refers to Titan 8990 but that post does not appear here.

Could you please clarify in this message area for me before I proceed further.

Thank you

Cram

Edited by cram, 03 September 2008 - 08:32 AM.

cram

cram

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
Hi,

I have completed all of the steps in the "Must read this" post and I would now like to submit the logs of the scans I have done.

Please note, I have also done a Full Norton scan and it was completely clear.

Ist up the Malwarebytes Scan

Second the Hijack this log.

Please note that in addition to Norton I am also running the following products some of which I close down Norton while I run them to avoid conflict.

1. Super anti spy

2. Prev ex

3. Ad aware

4. A squared

5. Trend Micro

6. Windows defender

7. Xp anti spy

8. Spyware blaster

9. Spyware guard

I run a couple of these scans each week and they seem to pick up different things.

None of them has found anything significant that I have noticed at least not in the last few months.

I would appreciate if someone could tell me if any of these clash and could possibly be the source of the problem.

I hope this is useful as this problem still persists.

Thank you

Cram

Edited by wannabe1, 07 September 2008 - 08:49 AM.

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hello cram...

Click Start, then Run, type regsvr32 /u shmedia.dll and click "Ok". (Note the spaces in the command)
A window will appear saying that the file has been unregistered successfully. (If you don't receive this window, or the window gives an error, then please post that in your next reply.)

Reboot your computer and see if the problem persists.

wannabe1

cram

cram

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
Thank you Thank you this appears to have fixed the problem.

I have attached the message which appeared on the screen for your information.

One other small thing has happened and I wonder if there is a tweek for it. All of the icons for movies and any other file that is set to default to the media player I have installed show the media player icon and not a snapshot of the file which I prefer.

Is there a way to rectify this?

Cram

Attached Thumbnails

• regsvr.jpg

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
What we did was disable the preview feature in XP. Evidently, you have a corrupt file in there somewhere.

Open a the folder that contains your files. Click "View" on the toolbar, change the way the files are displayed to either "Thumbnails" or "Filmstrip", and see if you see the change you desire.

Doing this may put you back to the slow opening folders, though, unless you can determine which file or files are causing the problem. Then again, it may be fine after making this adjustment.

cram

cram

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
I did try that but with the same result.

Cram

cram

cram

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
I would appreciate a little further advice if possible. As I have said I have played around with the 'VIEW' function to no effect.

As I have mentioned all thumbnails for movie files have changed to the logo of the player. GOM PLAYER All other previews are there JPG etc, but WMV and AVI are not.

In an attempt to re-enable the thumbs preview I tried re-installing the player but this did not achieve anything.

A google investigation turned up the following website

http://www.mydigital...-in-windows-xp/

It appears to suggest that the following command would re-enable the thumbnails

regsvr32 shmedia.dll

If I do this do I undo all of the good work and revert to not being able to access C DRIVE?

If that is so I do not wish to do that.

In this event how is it possible to locate the corrupt file(s) which is (are) causing the problem? If there is I would be quite happy to delete.

I hope this explains clearly enough where I am at.

Cheers

Cram