Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Ubuntu Sys. Requirements

• Please log in to reply

gbowne1

gbowne1

• PipPip
  • 37 posts
I have a PC with a ASUS M3A w/ a Athlon 64 X2 6000+ and 8gb of RAM. Does anyone know what Ubuntu's memory requirements are? Which version do I need?

Advertisements

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
my system is based on ubuntu, it's running well on 256ram, I have another laptop on 192ram which still works, but perhaps this is the wrong end of the scale for your question but either way since one normally does the live CD test first, that is one boots up onto the live CD without installing just to see if all the drivers are there, one will know for sure without effecting your current system at all as the live CD test bypasses the harddrive, here is the system requirements link for ubuntu though if one is new I suggest Mint as a starter linux since it is both ubuntu based and has all the codexes, mp3 and flash stuff buddled in from start save one the add in later

https://help.ubuntu....temRequirements

Edited by fleamailman, 01 September 2008 - 03:17 PM.

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
You will most likely want the 64bit version to take advantage of all your RAM. If it is a desktop OS you should not that there are issues with 64bit Ubuntu and Java.

gbowne1

gbowne1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
Thanks for all your help. I will try the 64bit version live CD first.