Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Uses for a home server

• Please log in to reply

Anomaly

Anomaly

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
So I had enough spare parts to put together another comp, and decided to make myself a server. So far, it's being used for FTP (currently just for Firefox bookmark sync, but i have more uses planned) and Ventrilo (which will get used as soon as I let my friends that still have time for games know that it's up), but even put together, it seems like a waste of the majority of the computer's power. So, does anybody have any ideas as to any other useful ways to use this server?
For further info, I prefer *not* to use it for anything like Prime95 or Folding@Home, which just eats CPU power and makes it 90+ degrees in my room. Also, I've considered an HTTP or SMTP server, but have no use for one.
Any ideas?

Advertisements

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Make it a backup computer for all your data files, not just bookmarks...

It can be running constant backups...

Anomaly

Anomaly

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
ah yes, this is true. It would probably also make sense to put more space on my server than the 80 gigs it has... perhaps my everyday-use pc (2x 250 gigs) can spare one of its hard drives lol. Are there any (free) backup applications that can do this to a highly customized level, or shall I write my own?

Jonesey

Jonesey

• PipPipPip
  • 335 posts
Well if you have the skills necessary to write your own then go for it.