Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Stop Error 0X0000008E BSOD

• Please log in to reply

Ang0769

Ang0769

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hello there!

Yesterday I was doing some routine maintenance on my mothers computer, downloading some updates etc. There were 11 updates to download afterwards I rebooted to install them...then the fun started! The updates didn't appear to install as the system hung for the longest time then it eventually rebooted itself.

Was able to log on and everything appeared okay except it took a very long time to log into Windows XP and not everything was able to load (Telus Virus protector)...we have a wireless network and the taskbar shows that she was connected but when we clicked on Outlook and IE nothing was coming up.

So I decided to reboot, same thing as before...I thought I would do a system restore -- when I tried to do that the system froze. Decided to reboot again, the system got as far as the XP logo then when it looked like the logon screen was coming up -- flash of blue then auto reboot.

I managed to quickly jot down the Stop error OX0000008E (0XC0000005 0X804D92C2 0XF841A5A4 0X0000000) and it also said something about changing BIOS settings to stop RAM Shadowing etc. I tried to get it back again but when I press F8 the option of turning off auto start doesn't show up.

Can't get into any instance of Safe Mode - when we try the computer shows a great long list of system32. ntkrnl lines etc and lists a load of system 32 drivers then it shuts off and tries to reboot again.

I went into recovery and did the chkdsk /r, fixboot and even tried the repair installation of Windows XP but everytime the computer reboots, the farthest it get to is the XP logo screen.

Computer is an Intel 3 1G with 512 Megs of Ram. FAT32

Can anyone please help!

Thanks,
Angela

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
0x0000008E: KERNEL_MODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED

A kernel mode program generated an exception which the error handler didn’t catch. These are nearly always hardware compatibility issues (which sometimes means a driver issue or a need for a BIOS upgrade).

0xC0000005: STATUS_ACCESS_VIOLATION

A memory access violation occurred.

Disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing.

See if you can get into the BIOS by hitting the DELETE key while the computer is booting up. Find the ram memory setting and figure out how to turn off shadowing.

Then see if you can boot into windows, or fix the OS . You may need more memory to make up for the shadow ram loss, even tho i have seldom seen any computer with shadow ram turned on. I personally run all my XP computers with 2 gigs of ram. I also run the system with NTFS since it is much more stable than fat32.

SRX660

Ang0769

Ang0769

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi SRX660,

Thank you very much for replying. I did what you suggested, pressed DEL while the computer was booting and disabled the BIOS shadowing and caching, pressed f10 to save and rebooted. Unfortunately, the computer still did not boot..as usual got as far as the Windows XP splash screen then proceeded to the stop error message.

Please are there any other suggestions?!?!?

Thanks!!
Angela

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Now you will need to do a repair install with a XP CD.

http://www.geekstogo...ws-XP-t138.html

SRX660