Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP, Hard-Disk

• Please log in to reply

dxnib1

dxnib1

• Pip
  • 4 posts
hello there,

recently i bought a new Toshiba laptop. an Equiem A300D.
i was hoping that it would come with XP however this was not the case. and as most systems are doing (if-not all), it came with vista.

iv nothing against vista i use it on my desktop. however vista on a laptop (with, somewhat less than moderate specs) isn't an ideal situation to be in when i use laptops a lot for work. i feel it runs slower and there's certainly long periods of pro-longed loading (even in the simplest of tasks). in total its certainly slower than my last laptop which had XP and far-far worse specs.

anyway. i know that this laptop was shipped with XP in the previous year, and i know a few people with the same laptop with XP on it. there's even a full list of my laptop specific drivers for XP, on the Toshiba website.

iv more recently managed to buy a copy of XP. which i plan to install over Vista. however. when i try to install XP it tells me that it 'could not detect any hard disks' and then forces me to quit the installation.

looking around the internet iv found it possible to add new drivers via USB floppy, upon the XP booting phase. that will allow XP to see my hard-drives.

although this is where my knowledge ends. i am completely lost to which drivers i need to add via USB. and this is where i come to you for help.

my system specs are:
AMD turion X2Dual Core RM-70
3GB DDR2 memory.
140GB hard-disk
ATI Mobility Radeon graphics card.

in total, what i'd like to know is: what drivers do i need to make XP recognize my hard-disk. and where, (if possible) to download them, or how to extract them from my Vista installation.

i apologies for just joining and posting like this. its not something i usually do but for once i need to give up and admit i don't have a clue.

i thank you all for your help and hope to hear from you guys and girls soon.

David.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
All the drivers you need are on the Toshiba website where you can filter the results down to your specific model number which is printed on the bottom of the laptop.

You may be able to find an option in the laptop BIOS (pressing typically F1, F2 or Del to get into it) that toggles SATA type. If available the options are probably because AHCI and IDE/Legacy. Change this to IDE/Legacy, save and then XP CD should see the hard drive.