Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

self built worked almost 2 months, stopped booting

• Please log in to reply

whitenbknight

whitenbknight

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I built the computer myself with the help of a friend, we put it together, loaded all the drivers, and it ran fine for almost 2 months no problems, it survived a move we unloaded it worked fine for a week or so and then i moved it from floor to under desk and turned power. The screen read no signal and but the power light and all the fans turned on. I have no idea how to get it to work. I check for loose parts with no sucess. Monitor works fine with old computer. I removed everything and put back together with no success. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I'
m almost ready to take it to a professional. Thanks for your time.

Advertisements

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
Well with all the moving I'd check all the cable... maybe even to the point of unplugging and replugging... same with all the cards... remove and reseat.... also the memory... if you still have no luck I'd start with the power supply... if you have a known good one try and see if that fixes the issue... there are a lot of cheap power supplies out there and I don't mean the cost, they are cheaply made and die easily...

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
Had those symptoms a few times. 3 out 3 times in was faulty RAM. Well, once it was a faulty RAM slot but same idea.

CrazyIvan007

CrazyIvan007

• PipPip
  • 87 posts
Power Supplies can go bad if bumped around too much. If your PSU has multiple PCIe wires, plug the other one into your Video Card, see if it works. Do you hear a beep when you turn it on? That is usually the Video Card initialization. If you don't hear this, it is either something wrong with your Video Card, PSU or possibly RAM, but bad RAM will usually give you a solid 10-second beep(roughly), or will give you multiple beeps in a row. If you have your Mobo book, read for peep alerts.