Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

My whole system is corrupted

• Please log in to reply

1gnition

1gnition

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I have Windows XP, SP2 and I have a MAJOR problem:

(1) It takes about 5 minutes to fully start Windows;
(2) the task-bar got "primitive" (like previous Windows versions);
(3) opened windows does not show in the taskbar;
(4) there is no sound;
(5) I cannot copy files;
(6) I cannot search;
(6) when surfing the Web I get "Cannot creat DirectShow player";
(7) there are some more problems I don't remember now.

All of this happened after restarting due to a scan and repair with Spyware Doctor version 4.0.0.2602 which revealed some infections. Prior to doing that I created a System Restore Point. So after it all went wrong I tried to run the System Restore appilication to undo all the mess, but it doesn't work and I get a "System Restore is not able to protect your computer. Please restart your computer, and then run System Restore again". After restarting it still doesn't work.

Things I've tried to do to solve it but failed:

1. Trying to enable System Resotre through services.msc (it was in "automatic"). When I tried to start System Restore service there I got the following error message: "Error 1068: The dependecy service or group failed to start".
2. I went to %Windir%\INF and tried to right clicking on "sr.inf" and then 'install' but it didn't solve the problem.

I believe that Restoring is my hope.
If you think System Restore will solve the problems - please help me fix it.
If you don't think System Restore will solve the problems - please suggest your solution.

Please help me, I'm so desperate here :)

Advertisements

1gnition

1gnition

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Nevermind. I will format.