Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

A question about heat spreaders

• Please log in to reply

Darken1

Darken1

• PipPip
  • 28 posts
I recently put heat spreaders on my ram, too try to cool them, I am not overclocking them but I am still paranoid about how long they will last.

I put the heat spreaders on one side of both or my sticks of ram to test the heat difference, I ran it for an hour playing games to heat it up.

The I opened my system and felt my ram and the side without a heat spreader was warm to the touch, but the heat spreader side was burning up.

Is this normal, is it really removing the heat from the device or is it just collecting the heat and destroying my ram faster.

Advertisements

CrazyIvan007

CrazyIvan007

• PipPip
  • 87 posts
Did you touch the heat spreader or the RAM itself? I am guessing you touched the heat spreader.

Have you ever put a paper towel down onto a spot of water? The towel will soak it up. In physics, this is called "Capillary Action." This is what your heat spreader (dissipator) does. It soaks up the heat from the RAM and exhausts it through what is equivalent to evaporative heat action. I use this to heat my apt in the winter, sucking heat from surrounding apartments to heat my own, therefore saving money on my power bill.

One thing you can do to increase the cooling action of the heat spreaders is get a RAM Cooler. I bought the Corsair RAM fan, it works great. Kind of unknown right off how to install. But, you tighten the brackets down completely, then slide them from the side of the RAM brackets across all 4 on either side until is is over all the RAM.

Here, check it out:

http://www.tigerdire...e...5&CatId=496

I don't have Corsair Dominator RAM, or even Corsair RAM. I have OCZ Platinum RAM. But, this product gets the job done.

Edited by CrazyIvan007, 02 September 2008 - 10:12 AM.

Darken1

Darken1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
Thank you for the quick reply.

What you are saying is that the heat spreader is doing it's job, do you happen to know if this is better for the memory or not?

CrazyIvan007

CrazyIvan007

• PipPip
  • 87 posts
Well yea, if the heat spreader is hotter than the memory stick, then yes...it is doing its job. I would be concerned if the heat spreader was the same temperature as or cooler than the memory chips...then it wouldn't be doing its job. Again, think of the paper towel. You WANT it to soak up the water. If you put a paper towel on a puddle of water and it DOESN'T soak it up, leaving the surface wet with the puddle, then the paper towel isn't doing what it is meant to do.

Yes, this is better for the memory. It is pulling heat out of the chips and exhausting it through its grille.

Edited by CrazyIvan007, 02 September 2008 - 12:40 PM.