Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Firefox unable to open new windows

• Please log in to reply

Ltangelic

Ltangelic

Angel Annihilator of Malware

• Retired Staff
  • 2,008 posts
I can't say for sure.

Though, please go here and follow the instructions for posting a HijackThis log.

Only malware staff can help you with malware issues.

Advertisements

Transcriptionist

Transcriptionist

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
Thank you. I will do as you have advised.

sagar13

sagar13

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
I am facing the same problem. but in my case, i can open the new window using Ctrl+N. But when i try to open a new window by executing firefox.exe (or its shortcut), it displays the following message:

Error:

I am using Windows XP SP3, Home Edition.

Edited by sagar13, 20 January 2009 - 03:38 PM.

OneManCrew

OneManCrew

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Firefox 3 version, Open the Add Ons window, do the Find Updates (lower-left corner), update all the add-ons it can update, then restart Firefox by doing an Exit. After exiting, Make sure that the Firefox.exe process closes down in Task Manager. and then you can reopen Firefox, then try a CTRL+N.

Mad Barsteward

Mad Barsteward

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi everyone I solved the problem by removing the Skype 2.2 add on which was installed when i updated my skype last night.

Hope this helps

bethel95

bethel95

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Since this keeps coming up (I've seen the same problem in the MozillaZine forum going back to 2005; I suspect that it's a problem that just crops up for no rhyme or reason), here's what fixed it for me:

It turns out to have been due to one of two things (and maybe a combination of both):
  • The "extensions.*" files (.cache, .ini, and .rdf) in my FF profile were corrupted. To fix this, quit FF, navigate to the profile folder (see http://kb.mozillazin...older_-_Firefox to find out where this is in your operating system), and delete those three files (they will automatically regenerate when you restart FF; don't worry, this won't cause you to lose your extensions).
  • One or more new extensions were causing conflicts. I disabled (uninstall not necessary) a few new extensions that I'd installed over the past week.
FYI, not only did this fix the "no new windows" problem, but also a problem with FF's core process not quitting after exiting (preventing FF from restarting; I had to kill the process in task manager) and it got some extensions working again that had been reporting as "incompatible with FF 3.5.6" despite being listed on the FF Add-ons site as being compatible with this version. Joy all around!