Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

After failed XP SP3 install, LSASS.exe error

• Please log in to reply

umgriz

umgriz

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hello all,

Today I was attempting to update my XP Home to SP3. It downloaded fine, but when it was about 50% done installing, the computer restarted itself. When it tried to boot, I got the following message:

"windows/system32/config/system file missing or corrupt

you can try to repair or replace the file using the system recovery disk."

Or something very close, I may have left a few words out.

Anyway, so I booted in with the CD, to the recovery console with the intention of replacing said file and then getting to safe mode and using system restore to go back.

While in the recovery console, I also found out that my windows\system32\config folder was missing the sam, security and default files as well. So i retrieved all those from the repair folder. Rebooted, and got a continuous reboot.

Checked a couple of other sites (including Microsoft Knowledge base) and determined that maybe I should let Windows repair itself (boot to CD, hit enter at first screen, then R at next screen). It replaced the files like it was supposed to, and I got the windows setup screen. It does what it is supposed to do there....I go through the setup, and when it is done, it reboots.

This is where the trouble starts. I get the XP splash screen with the green blocks that run across the bottom. Then right before the log in screen comes up, I see a quick error screen flash and it reboots. I've watched it closely several times and have determined the error is this:

LSASS.exe System error
Insufficient system resources exist to complete the API

I tried to F8 and go into Safe Mode....same error. I'm really stuck, and I hope someone can help. Normally I'd do a clean install, but I have some files stored on my desktop that I need. (I know, usually I don't do that, but I wasn't thinking today)

Edited by umgriz, 02 September 2008 - 08:33 AM.

Advertisements

umgriz

umgriz

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
UPDATE:

I created an UBCD and performed the MEMTEST. All good. Then I tried to boot in with the UBCD, and now I get a BSOD with the following STOP code:

0x0000008E (0xC0000005, 0x804AD302, 0XF7726B38, 0x00000000)

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Download Puppy Linux from my list of links below. Download "puppy 2.16.1 seamonkey fulldrivers.ISO". Burn the ISO file to create a bootable CD. For this purpose you can download BurnCDCC from the links below. It's a very simple tool, used exclusively to burn ISO files.

Insert the disk into the CD/DVD drive and boot the computer. If it doesn't boot, please set boot order in the BIOS so that the CD drive is first priority boot device. Click the icon that looks like a pen drive. This will enable backup of your important files to another storage device.

Other people may think differently but personally I think that you are wasting your time if you try to repair. Reformat and start afresh. The problem you had is one of many OS errors that can occur when you install SP-3 on a loaded, long running computer. If you reformat install the drivers, your antivirus, and go to windows update before anything else. Download the updates, including SP-3, Disconnect from the internet, disable your antivirus and install. Continue the installation od data and applications only after you do that.

umgriz

umgriz

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Saved my files! Thanks a bunch....will now proceed with wipe and clean install of XP, including SP3, before loading any other programs.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Thanks for letting us know.