Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Inspiron 6000 Monitor Problem

• Please log in to reply

skipperd

skipperd

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
When I turn on my computer the monitor will come on just for a second and then go to black. I can attach an outside monitor to the laptop and it works. Any ideas?

Advertisements

The Admiral

The Admiral

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 1,067 posts
How long will the screen stay on? Do you see the DELL screen? Do you see the Windows loading screen?

Try turning on the laptop while holding down the <Fn> key, this will start some diagnostics. Near the end, you'll see some color bars on the screen, and it will ask you if you saw them. Press N for no, and you'll see some full-screen colors.

Tell me if you can get to the very end of this test (the full-screen colors) or if the screen stops working at some point.

skipperd

skipperd

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
It doesn't stay on long enough to see the color bars, etc. It will go through the beeping but without seeing what they are asking I don't know whether to hit Y or N.

The Admiral

The Admiral

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 1,067 posts
So you can hear the beeping but the screen is blank?

Sounds like the screen does need to be replaced. Contact Dell Technical Support via Chat or phone (800-624-9896) for a screen replacement, and tell them that the screen was blank during PSAs but worked fine on an external monitor, and nothing showed on the screen during the LCD BIST.

Edited by The Admiral, 02 September 2008 - 11:05 AM.