Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How did my system get infected with spyware

• Please log in to reply

suneelgv

suneelgv

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
Hi,

Recently my system got infect with some spyware which kept displaying popup ads and also changed the desktop background to blue color that said 'Your sytem is infected with spyware and click here to download anti spyware software'. Ofcouse I restored the system using acronis image.

I haven't downloaded or installed any software from the internet. I visited some random movie site with lot of popups etc. Just visiting the site infected my machine (xp prof sp 2). All the ports in the firewall are closed except 13000 port which I use for azureus. ( I didn't have antivirus when it got infected)

Could some one please tell how the spyware got installed without my knowledge? I was thinking that I need to install some software and that secretly installed spywares like Kazaa etc.

Thanks
Suneel

Advertisements

suneelgv

suneelgv

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Forgot to mention, the spyware was quite clever. It even disabled the taskmanager button when I hit the ctrl+alt+del key.

Rorschach112

Rorschach112

Ralphie

• Retired Staff
  • 47,710 posts
Please go to the malware forum and follow the instructions at the top....Especially the CLICK HERE.

That will give you several steps that will help you clean up 70 percent of all problems by yourself. If at the end of the process you are still having difficulty--and you may not be-- then post a hijackthis log in THAT forum.

The Admiral

The Admiral

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 1,067 posts
A good resource to use to keep yourself safe from future attacks is the Geeks to Go! guide titled How did I get infected in the first place?