Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Help! XP Crashed, won't boot

• Please log in to reply

jessicaheidi

jessicaheidi

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I'm using Windows XP. It's an HP 820 Intel Viiv Pentium D .. 2GB ram, 250GB drive

I was watching a movie last night when my computer froze, Ctrl Alt Dlt didn't work so I powered it off.

Upon powering it back on, nothing shows up on the monitor, a green light by the CD Rom is flashing quickly, and a very fast beep is coming from inside the computer (steady beep, a couple per second).

It does this every time.

The same day I had installed an external hard drive, but hadn't gotten around to using it yet. I bought it so I could back up my files, because none of them are backed up.

Any ideas? Did I lose my files?

Advertisements

jessicaheidi

jessicaheidi

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Oh- I remember getting errors in the past when I would play movies, it would turn off and say something about dumping system memory. I would always turn the computer off when this happened, not knowing what it meant (it sounds bad). But I haven't had an error like that in a while.

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Double beeps on startup are Post/Cmos error, which suggests you have a problem with losing your bios settings or a hardware somewhere that has gone bad.. Try replacing the motherboard battery( which usually does not cure the problem) to see if it helps. The alternative is start checking the hardware to see where the problem is. You might try looking in the event viewer to see if theres any problems showing up there, when you can get back into windows.. More than likely there is a video problem so you may need to add a video card.You can try adding a video card and hooking the monitor up to it to see if the computer will boot into it. First thing to do is to get into the bios and disable the on-board video if it is necessary.

The first thought is to try hitting the delete key and see if you can get into the bios. If it sits in the bios without shutting off, your bios is probably OK.

You can probably take the hard drive out of the computer and install it on another computer and save all the files you want off the drive to another drive of to CD's.

I have had so many people come in with problems with external hard drives that i no longer use them myself. I have even had a computer crash when i tried using an external drive to back the computer up. It had problems but would boot up without the external drive hooked up. Quick backups to CD's or DVD's is easier and cause no problems even when using them on other computers.

SRX660

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
All the following should be performed with a powered off computer. Gently shake and press the video card and memory modules. Check any cable that connects into the video card (if there is any) and the cable that connects the hard disk to the motherboard. Make sure that the large cable that connect the power supply unit to the motherboard sits properly in place. Reboot.

jessicaheidi

jessicaheidi

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I tried unplugging everything, took out all of the memory cards, video cards, etc...and then put it all back together...

When I powered it on, it now says

Disk Boot Failure, Insert System Disk and Press Enter

What does this mean? Does it mean insert Windows XP Install CD?

I currently don't have access to any of the CDs that came with my computer.

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Disk boot failure usually means your hard drive has died. The best method to check this is to stick the hard drivein another computer and see if it can be accesses.

SRX660