Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows was unable to find a certificate to log you on to the network.

• Please log in to reply

S.Adams

S.Adams

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I have an Acer Aspire 3003WLMi. Our house has a Linksys wireless router, and the other laptops in the house can connect just fine, but I get the message, "Windows was unable to find a certificate to log you on to the network." This laptop has worked fine with other wireless networks in the past, but it won't connect to this one. Another post suggested clicking the box for "IEEE 802.1x authentication for this network." But when I try that, the screen comes up all greyed out, so I can't uncheck the box. Do you have an idea what I could do?

Thanks!

Sarah

Advertisements

jdzcool

jdzcool

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
I just had to do this same thing on my laptop today. What i did was to delete all instanses of networks in the wireless networking list. then i had it search again for wireless networks and it found it and let me connect.

dvphuong

dvphuong

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I also have machines that are similar, but using the other network is not the problem.

not-me

not-me

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I don’t know if this will work for you, or anyone else, but here goes.
I have been working on this problem for the last fore days and I just found what I think will solve the problem. If your wireless router is configured for auto password generation and it comes up with some random password, set the wireless router to manual setup and put your own password in. Make it something simple like (4444444441) and try that. Then when you hookup put that password in. It seams like some computers don’t like some passwords when incepted at 64bit.
This Sony VAIO all in one that I am working on could not find the (certificate) until I setup my own password in the wireless router. The problem was not in the computer at all.

Sonny Ferdinand Sanchez

Sonny Ferdinand Sanchez

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Same thing happened >unable to find a cert.....

Problem solved > Network key is case sensitive > connected :)

nperala

nperala

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Hi, I have been trying to solve this same issue for over a month now. We had one Internet provider and everything worked fine with the connection, but when we changed providers, the computer wouldn't connect. My roommate was able to connect her laptop without any problems. It keeps telling me that "Windows was unable to find a certificate to log you onto the network...". I'm completely at a loss. I've unchecked the 802.1x box. I've entered & re-entered the key a million times. I've restarted the computer. Can someone please help?

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts

Hi, I have been trying to solve this same issue for over a month now. We had one Internet provider and everything worked fine with the connection, but when we changed providers, the computer wouldn't connect. My roommate was able to connect her laptop without any problems. It keeps telling me that "Windows was unable to find a certificate to log you onto the network...". I'm completely at a loss. I've unchecked the 802.1x box. I've entered & re-entered the key a million times. I've restarted the computer. Can someone please help?

This any help for you?
http://www.geekstogo...ost__p__2092735

nperala

nperala

• Pip
  • 6 posts
How do you change the encryption so that it's both?

nperala

nperala

• Pip
  • 6 posts
For the network authentication, my options are open, shared, WPA and WPA-PSK & for the data encryption, my options are TKIP & AES. I don't see a WPA-2 option anywhere, or an option to have two encryptions...

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Obviously your modem doesn't have the option as the one did that I was setting up. What option are you currently using? If you aren't already, try WPA-PSK and see how that works.

nperala

nperala

• Pip
  • 6 posts
I am using WPA-PSK, but it doesn't work. I've tried all of the different combinations...

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Obviously just for testing purposes... Can you get it working no problems with security disabled?