Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Crashed Computer

• Please log in to reply

juicie

juicie

• Pip
  • 5 posts
I am running Windows XP on a Gateway 420GR desktop. Recently, the computer crashed (not the first time), and I used the restore disk to try and fix the problem. During this process, I received an error message saying "cannot format user partition". Now, when I power up the desktop, I only get as far as the gateway logo before seeing a black screen with a blinking cursor at the top left. This has happened before, and the problem usually "resolves" itself. However, time is of the essence because I need this computer for school, and the laptop I'm using to send this message is similarly unreliable. Please help. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Advertisements

Philip Kingsley

Philip Kingsley

• PipPip
  • 43 posts
I havent used an Gateway System! so would like to know whether the windows Logon screen comes?..

can u go to safe mode?
Can u try the restore disk while booting?

juicie

juicie

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I've actually tried using two seperate restore disks multiple times. One of them gets no response from my computer. The other one gives the impression that it's working, but then I get the message about it being unable to format the user partition. In answer to your other questions, I never get to the windows logon screen, and I can't get to the safe mode screen no matter what I do.