Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Limited connectivity, unplugged popups

• Please log in to reply

Matahari

Matahari

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
hi thank you for helping me with these problems. i really appreciate it. first off, i think it may be important to list my internet router and modem:

modem: rca dcm425
voip router: vonage linksys wrtp54g
nic: nvidia nforce

my first problem is that whenever i set my network settings to to full duplex, rapid moving notices popup on the bottom right screen sayin network unplug or something like that. i've had this issue for like a year now, but i managed to stop this problem by turning it to force 10 duplex. i didnt think that would be much of an issue but thats where i was wrong.

a few months later when i was introduced to torrent and other downloads, i decided to check my speed. the speed test shocked me. i only had 1.5 mbps upload and lower download. i felt that comcast was ripping me off (it promised 8 mbps) and i decided to call comcast about this.

after i called a rude comcast rep, he told me that the router or background programs might be the problem. he told me to boot to safe mode with networking, unplug the router and connect the modem straight to the pc. i did so and i found that my internet was worse than dial up. the rep told me it was impossible as an unplugged router should make it faster and we had an argument cause he didnt seem to believe me.

after a while i realized that the speed duplex may be affecting it, told the rep to be quiet for a sec (he was screaming in my ears!) and changed the duplex back to full duplex. i did so and decided to check the internet (this is safe mode remind you) and surprisingly, the internet was as fast. i decided to do another speed test with the new settings. i was shocked. the upload speed remained the same but the download shot up to 20 mbps.

i thought that the router was the source of the prob after all since the router doesnt work on full duplex. after tryin a few settings in safe mode, i came to the final conclusion that the router was messed up and the rep told me to update the firmware.

i booted the pc into normal mode and found no firmware update so i decided to unplug the router and connect the modem straight to the pc again. however this time, it couldnt connect. i got a limited conectivity notice. 10 full duplex, the notice is still there, 100 full, its still there. i was very frustrated so i called a few guys that knew a little about computers. they were clueless as well and so i decided to post this issue on geeks to go and here i am.

geeks 2 go guys please help me. if you need me to supply you with any information feel free to ask at any time. i really appreciate your help. thank you very much.

Advertisements

Artellos

Artellos

Tech Secretary

• Global Moderator
  • 3,915 posts
Hello Matahari,

Interesting issue you have here. I will do my best to resolve the issue.

So what happens when you connect your modem directly to your computer? (Try both in safe-mode and normal mode please.)
What was the duplexing set as when trying this? Have you tried setting duplexing to Auto Negotiation?

Regards,
Olrik

Matahari

Matahari

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Hello Matahari,

Interesting issue you have here. I will do my best to resolve the issue.

So what happens when you connect your modem directly to your computer? (Try both in safe-mode and normal mode please.)
What was the duplexing set as when trying this? Have you tried setting duplexing to Auto Negotiation?

Regards,
Olrik

in normal mode at both full and 10 duplex, it gives the limited connectivity message. in safe mode at full duplex, 20 mbps download 1.3 mbps upload. in safe mode at 10 duplex, internet barely useable. ty for the help.

Artellos

Artellos

Tech Secretary

• Global Moderator
  • 3,915 posts
Have you tried setting duplexing to automatic negotiation?

Regards,
Olrik

Matahari

Matahari

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
yep thats what i meant by full autonegotiation

Artellos

Artellos

Tech Secretary

• Global Moderator
  • 3,915 posts
Lets see if you have any errors in the device manager.
  • Go to Start -> Run.
  • In the Box, type in "devmgmt.msc".
  • Now look in that window, can you find any "?".
  • Please tell me which devices are marked with a yellow "?".

Regards,
Olrik

Matahari

Matahari

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
everything is normal on device manager but this is the weird thing. after i looked at manager and i saw everything was fine, i wanted to check if it would say anything if i put it on full/auto duplex. however when i changed it to full duplex, a blue screen of death just like flashed for a tenth of a sec. i couldnt read wat was on it. my system then rebooted. this is like the third time it happened. yea i know this is a confusing problem lol.

Artellos

Artellos

Tech Secretary

• Global Moderator
  • 3,915 posts
You need to turn off Automatic Restart so when you do get a BSOD, you will be able to read what it says, record the information and post it here if you have problems in the future.

Right click on My Computer.
Click Properties / Advanced / Startup and Recovery Settings.
Uncheck box for "Automatically restart".

Then try to re-create the BSOD and give me the error code, please.

Regards,
Olrik

Matahari

Matahari

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
i'm tryin hard to recreate the incident but i cant :)

Artellos

Artellos

Tech Secretary

• Global Moderator
  • 3,915 posts
I believe we can find this in either the startup or the services.
Ok, so lets find the culprit!
Note: This process might take a while and requires multiple reboots.
  • Go to start and hit "run"
  • In the white box type "msconfig"
  • A window will pop up, go to the Startup Tab.
  • In the bottom right, select "Disable All"
  • Please reboot the computer.
  • Follow steps 1 to 3 again.
  • Now turn on 1 or 2 startups and reboot again.
  • Keep doing this until your problem comes back.
  • Once the problem comes back it should be the program you turned on Last.
  • Please tell me which program this was and how the whole process went.

(It is also possible of course that it still keeps giving the problem. Report back and we'll move on to the services.)

Regards,
Olrik

Advertisements

Matahari

Matahari

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

I believe we can find this in either the startup or the services.
Ok, so lets find the culprit!
Note: This process might take a while and requires multiple reboots.

• Go to start and hit "run"
  • In the white box type "msconfig"
  • A window will pop up, go to the Startup Tab.
  • In the bottom right, select "Disable All"
  • Please reboot the computer.
  • Follow steps 1 to 3 again.
  • Now turn on 1 or 2 startups and reboot again.
  • Keep doing this until your problem comes back.
  • Once the problem comes back it should be the program you turned on Last.
  • Please tell me which program this was and how the whole process went.

(It is also possible of course that it still keeps giving the problem. Report back and we'll move on to the services.)

Regards,
Olrik

hey olrik. i did exactly wat u asked me too and the blue screen of death never showed up again. o and i had the networking problems even before i had the blue screen of death. i woudn't know but they could be different problems. then again, ill trust ur expertise on the subject :) but if its not connected to the internet problems, id like to fix my networking first and then worry about the blue screen of death thank you. however, if you think it may be related, feel free to help me tackle this problem. thank you and awaiting instructions

Artellos

Artellos

Tech Secretary

• Global Moderator
  • 3,915 posts
Did you get the error code? :)
I personally would like to see what the BSOD (Blue screen) is about as it is obviously limiting us to do what we want :)

Regards,
Olrik

Matahari

Matahari

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Did you get the error code? :)
I personally would like to see what the BSOD (Blue screen) is about as it is obviously limiting us to do what we want :)

Regards,
Olrik

no thats the problem lol. i cant get to the blue screen lol.

Artellos

Artellos

Tech Secretary

• Global Moderator
  • 3,915 posts
ah, I misread saying that it never showed up again.
Do you notice any increase in speed when you turn off all start-ups?

Regards,
Olrik

Matahari

Matahari

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
not any significant changes in speed. i have 7 startups to begin with.