Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Dual boot of WinXP vs. dual users within single boot?

• Please log in to reply

adifrank

adifrank

• PipPipPip
  • 226 posts
Hello.
I have a question. I read in some forum somewhere a post by someone who edits video on his computer. As is recommended, he has three separate drives in his machine - one system drive on which he installed windows xp and applications, a 2nd dedicated drive for his video material to be stored and a third drive for saving rendered video files (I think many recommend even a fourth drive for temp files, but that's besides the point).

Anyway, in this thread I read, he wrote that not only does he use dedicated drives for specific tasks, but also has his c: drive partitioned and in a dual boot setup with Windows xp installed in both partitions. For editing video he boots one system, on which he has only installed the OS and video editing software, whereas the 2nd bootable system has Windows xp installed along with the regular mass of software regardless of specific purpose. The 2nd system is also used for surfing the web, downloading, etc.

Since video editing is very demanding, especially of RAM, this method insures that his system memory isn't being hogged up by running apps which aren't necissary for video. No antiviruses or long list of processes running in the task manager.

My question is... what could be the difference between this method of completely seperating systems and just using two different users groups within the same installation of Windows xp? Couldn't he have just modified one users group to be the normal computing enviornment we all know with loads of programs and processes going all over the place; and a 2nd users group to only have video editing programs installed?

Which method makes more sense?

Thanks

Edited by adifrank, 02 September 2008 - 06:13 PM.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Two hard drives is a must for video editing.
As to separate Windows versus different users, realistically it makes no difference, the internet is the main source of any potential danger anyway regardless of where your Windows is installed.