Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Post virus removal leaves internet browsers unusable. help needed badl

• Please log in to reply

Bonusdonut

Bonusdonut

• Pip
  • 2 posts
well, about a month ago my AVG antivirus expired so i went searching for a new one online. I got this one called Anti-virus 2009 (or something of the like) and just assumed it was an upgrade of the 2008 version (I can't remember the exact name). Anyway it told me I had 41 viruses when I first ran it, but then every other time I ran the program, it was a different number of viruses. This led me to believe that the 2009 program was the actual virus. Long story short, I was right. After my friend, John, remotely controlled my computer using LogMeIn, he got rid of the virus. He used CCleanup to clean out my temp folders (because apparently that's where the viruses were lurking) and cleared up 30GB of temp folder space ( :) What the...?!).

Anyways, I tried to use Firefox 2/IE 6 afterwards, and I couldn't. IE would bring itself up with a blank page and then close itself while Firefox would just not load at all. Just sit there. Using a flash drive, I put the latest Firefox and IE .exe's on my non-working computer and executed them. They executed properly but both browsers still will not work. Because they still didn't work after the latest versions were downloaded, I know the problem doesn't lie within the browsers. John says that some remnants of the viruses still remain and messed up the scores (you know, them 1s 'n 0s?). I know that I am connected to the internet (or was, for that matter, since my mom's Vista stopped connecting to the wireless and she decided to take the entire modem :) ) because my brothers were able to satisfy their sick Maplestory obsession and already-downloaded programs such as AIM would still function properly.

System restore does not work. Once I get my internet back up and running for that computer, I would be happy to let someone remotely control if need be. But seriously, I am completely helpless in this matter and have no idea what to do. Halp meh! :) I'm getting desperate and will try ALMOST anything at this point.

Advertisements