Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Isopropyl Alcohol content

• Please log in to reply

peyote

peyote

• PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
Anyone know what the volume of alcohol is for this product ?

http://www.chsintera...ing-solvent.htm

No one in the store had a clue and it does not say it on the tin or on the data sheet in the link above.

Please help I've been searching for ages.

Many thanks :)

Advertisements

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Unless the bottle states the alcohool percentage, I suggest to search elsewhere. Go to any drug store and purchase Isopropyl Alcohol there, as it's a guareentee that'll be there. The greater the alcohol precentage, the better, I suggest 99.9%.
James

bustermoves

bustermoves

• PipPip
  • 82 posts
after turning my place upside down ,found may bottle is.alcohol.it says 50%,of course its the cheap dollar store brand

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Mine cost me under 3$ after tax. I highly recommend you purchase some stuff with a higher alcohol percentage. The lower the percentage of alcohol, the greater the residue left behind.
James

Edited by james_8970, 14 September 2008 - 12:24 PM.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
That stuff is 99%, it has the standard compliance in the data sheet and you just look up the spec sheet on one of the standards. they shouldn't do it that way but everybody tries to comply to sets of standards and its all just a scam. The closest to a non scam is ISO standards but even those are a rip off for allot of things just another way for people to make money from nothing.

I actually prefer acetone, it cleans better you just need to ensure that you don't let it touch the PCB or it will burn it. Just dip the top of a cotton bud in nail polish remover if you want something cheap for cleaning electronics.

It will only leave a residue if it is mineralised, if its made up of 50% deionised water 50% ethanol it won't leave a residue.