Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Vista can't see XP / XP can't see Vista?

• Please log in to reply

Falconchief

Falconchief

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
I have 4 computers on my home network:

Win98 SP2 - Mshome
Win XP Pro SP3 - Mshome
Win XP Home SP2 - Mshome
Win Vista Ultimate - Workgroup

I have a Motorola router and a ZyXEL wireless access point being fed by a cable modem (RoadRunner)

All are up to date and until recently have all been able to share files. I installed 2 500GB hard drives on my Vista machine and transfered all the music, pictures, etc to it. I then set it up to be shared by all computers. It was working just fine until I noticed the slide show screen saver (pointing to the shared drive on Vista) could not find the files. I attempted to reconnect the file but the XP Pro machine can no longer access the Vista computer! I checked the permissions on the drive and file and they are shared!

All the computers can access the internet just fine.

I have tried resetting my router and all computers on the network. Nothing seems to work. I'm lost!

I think I may have messed something up, trying to get the Vista machine to share the drive / files (since it was working just fine at one point) and now I don't know how to 'reset' the sharing permissions.

The Vista computer is password protected for all users.

How can I get my computers to play nice with each other again?

Edited by Falconchief, 04 September 2008 - 02:12 PM.

Advertisements