Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Looking To Build A New Computer

• Please log in to reply

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts

I just had a couple problems with your build. One, you didn't include the cost of Windows Vista.

Sure, no problem. You'll be wanting to include 64-bit Vista Home Premium into that $1000 box? I could rework it a bit, if this is what you're after.

Troy

Advertisements

McNemar01

McNemar01

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Yeah, I was looking to include the cost of Vista in the $1,000 budget. I know that kind of hurts me but I really don't want to go over that $1,000.

kamille316

kamille316

• PipPipPip
  • 604 posts
No, the board you selected can only support Crossfire (2 ATI video card), and since you have picked an Nvidia 8800GT, you will not be able to use the other PCI-E slot for dual-card configuration.

There's two ways you can do this, change the motherboard to an SLI ready board or change your video card to an ATI one.

McNemar01

McNemar01

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
How can you tell if the board supports Crossfire or SLI? I imagine it's specific to the chipset?

kamille316

kamille316

• PipPipPip
  • 604 posts

How can you tell if the board supports Crossfire or SLI? I imagine it's specific to the chipset?

It actually says on that page for the Foxconn one that it supports Crossfire ("Perfect Intel P45 next gen crossfire solution & more") its located right on the top, below the product title.

But its usually like this P35, P45, X38, X48 may or may not support Crossfire (depends if it comes with more than one PCI-Express slot) (Intel chipset).
680i, 780i, 790i, 750i will support SLI (these are all Nvidia chipset), some of the boards will say on their title that it supports SLI.

McNemar01

McNemar01

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Well, thank you for pointing that out. At this time I have decided on a processor and case that are definately going to be used and that is the Q6600 by Intel and the Antex Twelve Hundred for the case. These two items seem to have a lot of satisfied customers. The one thing that is killing me is selecting the right motherboard. I'm hoping for a minimum of 4 SATA 3.0 ports, 4 USB Ports. Looking at the cost of DDR3 RAM vs DDR2 RAM I'd prefer to go with DDR2. I can't justify the cost of buying DDR3 vs DDR2 atm.

CrazyIvan007

CrazyIvan007

• PipPip
  • 87 posts
here ya go:

http://www.tigerdire...e...&CatId=3495

Not sure of your budget for a Mobo, but that one is a good one...

Edited by CrazyIvan007, 05 September 2008 - 10:14 AM.

kamille316

kamille316

• PipPipPip
  • 604 posts
The ASUS P5N-D is cheaper in newegg.

McNemar01

McNemar01

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
One other question I have for you guys is this. The FSB of the motherboard and the FSB of the processor. What do I need to be aware of?

kamille316

kamille316

• PipPipPip
  • 604 posts

One other question I have for you guys is this. The FSB of the motherboard and the FSB of the processor. What do I need to be aware of?

It depends on the motherboard if it supports the processor you're going to use. Check the motherboard's manual first (usually available for download on the manufacturer's site) or check the CPU compatibility list (usually available at the manufacturer's site too) and check if the processor you want will be supported on the motherboard you're going to use.

Edited by kamille316, 05 September 2008 - 11:03 AM.

Advertisements

kamille316

kamille316

• PipPipPip
  • 604 posts
Sorry for the double post but I created a list for you.
Its a little over your budget but there's two mail-in-rebate that gets it down to $1000 (total of $50 on MIR)

Case: Antec Twelve Hundred - $179.99
Motherboard: ASUS P5N-D - $134.99
Processor: Intel Q6600 OEM - $179.99 (does not come with heatsink/fan)
Video Card: EVGA 8800 GT - $149.99 (comes with a $30 MIR)
Power Supply: Corsair 650W - $109.99 (comes with a $20 MIR)
Memory: G.SKILL 4GB (2x2GB) - $69.99
Hard Drive: Western Digital 320GB - $64.99
DVD-Writer: Pioneer 216-DBK - $29.99 (You can go with this Samsung for $5 less)
CPU Heatsink: Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro - $24.99

Total - $1044.90

Kamille

McNemar01

McNemar01

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
I'd like to thank all of you for helping me out. It's made me pick a system that I think will be great once I get it built. I did a little shopping around and found a couple parts at Amazon that were cheaper. The case and the PSU. Other than that, I can't wait to get these parts and build this system.