Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows xp pro won't start up

• Please log in to reply

aaaa44

aaaa44

• PipPipPip
  • 151 posts
I pushed the power plug of my computer into the wall socket to make sure it was all the way in and the computer shut off. This never happened before. When I turned the computer back on the o/s wouldn't start. A screen came up saying: "We apoligize for the inconvenience, but Windows did not start successfully".....below this message is a list of options: start in safe fmode, safe mode with networking, safe mode with command prompt, normally, etc. I tried them all, but nothing worked. There's another screen that says "Please select the o/s to start microsoft xp pro or microsoft xp pro recovery console." When I choose recovery console I get a message saying: "NTLDR is missing press ctrl=alt+delelete to restart, for trougbleshootig press f8", but whe I choose f8 I just get back to the screen with all the options I've already tried. I do not have the recovery cd or any cd for this o/s anymore. I bought xp home for a computer I'm about to put together. Should I just instal the new xp home on this computer? If I install the xp home on this computer how will I access everything on my hard drives? And will I be able to instal the xp home o/s on the computer I'm about tho build? Thanks for any replies.

Advertisements

PCGAZAGULLYKID

PCGAZAGULLYKID

• Pip
  • 3 posts
WAS YOUR PC WORKING GOOD BEFORE YOU HAD PUSHED THE PLUG FURTHER IN BEFORE THIS HAPPEN,AND WAS THE PC ON.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Installing the OS may result in loss of all data so right now that is not a option.
With a repair installation or we can find hopefully a fix for the issue.
Since the system with the issue is XP Pro you will need to borrow a XP Pro to proceed. If this is not feasible let me know and the first order of business will be to backup the data you need to save before we go any further into this.