Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Is this the right tool for the job?

• Please log in to reply

lalai

lalai

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I'm new at networking and I want to start making my own network wires/cables for my office. I ordered this crimping tool from www.lducompany.com (crimper should be here in a few days) and I wanted to learn if there are any other kinds of network cat5 wire crimping tools out there that would work better? http://www.liangdian...tory/459901.htm is the location for the crimp plires on thier website, those are the ones that I bought. Funny that it says Germany on the handle of the plires but I would gues they are made in China since the company I bought them from is in China. If you know of a name of a certin cat 5 wire crimper that would be better for me to use then please post it here. Thank you :)

Advertisements

Artellos

Artellos

Tech Secretary

• Global Moderator
  • 3,915 posts
Hello lalai,

That tool looks exactly like the tool I used to create my Ethernet Cables.
So yes, this tool would work for it perfectly. Do you know how to make a proper Cat5 cable or would you like me to write a small guide?

Regards,
Olrik

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
I have a couple pair of these from Paladin Tools, they are really nice, they crimp tight and are really solid construction. Plus the teeth are interchangable, so you can take out the RJ45 and put in RJ12 or Coax or whatever else, as long as you buy the teeth for it, which is alot less expensive than 5 crimpers.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
paladin makes some of the best tools i've seen (though a CAT crimper is pretty much a universal product)...they're always really solid and could usually serve as a weapon if you find yourself ambushed in the server room while making up some patch cables hehe

Artellos

Artellos

Tech Secretary

• Global Moderator
  • 3,915 posts

paladin makes some of the best tools i've seen (though a CAT crimper is pretty much a universal product)...they're always really solid and could usually serve as a weapon if you find yourself ambushed in the server room while making up some patch cables hehe

Definitely need a defence weapon when making patch cables! :)

Regards,
Olrik

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts

Definitely need a defence weapon when making patch cables! :)

Regards,
Olrik

Theres nothing worse than a nework support tech with the 1000 yard stare, clothes untucked, tie ripped in half, standing mouth slightly agape, with a Paladin 1300 series crimper hanging loosely in their hand, stuttering and stammering, I, I, I, dont know, everywhere, I mean, I was just standing, and I 568B, shielded, then no where, I dont know, I never heard them....

Poor guy, we had to let him go, but I think it was the best for him. I heard he retired at 28 and makes model cars somewhere in the Adirondacks now........