Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Odd serice pack 3 problem

• Please log in to reply

Wendol11

Wendol11

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
I've got an older toshiba laptop. Satellite A70. Just installed the new windows SP3 and a few odd problems came up. My touchpad does not seem to work the same as it used to. I am not able to scroll with it anymore. Possible driver problem? And my powersave controls are not working anymore. My monitor is permanently on a dim setting and the computer is hibernating if left for any duration. The three led's are recognizing that the AC power adapter is plugged in and the battery is charging. Toshiba uses their own powersave feature and not the default windows xp ones. Any changes I make in the toshiba console are not changing how the computer is running. Is this an service pack 3 error? Everything seemed to start with the service pack three install, i ran a virus scan with malwarebytes and it was clean. Can anyone help me out?

Advertisements

Wendol11

Wendol11

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Everything seems to be related to the toshiba console. The powersave controls and mouse are both on it and are the two things that have gone wacky. Can I just uninstall sp 3 to test my theory or will I be causing damage?

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
If you want to test the theory you can go ahead and restore to a checkpoint. SP3 makes a restore point before it installs. If you recover that point then you can see. The first thing I would do is go to Toshibas website and download all new drivers for the touchpad, powersave, chipset, etc. Install those, reboot and see if the issues persist.

If they do than you may want to restore back to pre-SP3

Wendol11

Wendol11

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
No new drivers on the toshiba website. I tried uninstalling then reinstalling the toshiba console with no change. I then tried a system restore with no change. I also tried to uninstall service pack 3 with no avail. I'm totally lost. Could a faulty backlight be my problem? The only thing that is odd is all of the other issues that have come up that seem to be related to the toshiba console (e.g. hibernation, and touchpad). That and any changes in the console related to the monitor brightness are having no effect. Thanks for any help.

Wendol11

Wendol11

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
I restarted my cpu and my touchpad seems to be working as usual, my computer is not automatically hibernating anymore either. My monitor is still dim though? backlight issue or not? any opinions? Nothing I do in the console seems to affect it though... very odd