Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Operating System Not Found

• Please log in to reply

tox0tes

tox0tes

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I have an HP Pavilion dv9035nr notebook with a hard drive I just wiped clean. I want to install XP Media Center Edition 2005, which I have the HP recovery disks for... when I insert the first disk, and boot with it, it comes up to a black screen saying "Operating system not found". I set the boot order correctly, putting the CD-ROM drive first. I ran the hard drive diagnostic and it passes both the quick and the extended tests. The BIOS recognizes the hard drive. The CD-ROM drive is working because I am able to boot from a hard drive wiper disk. I tried resetting the BIOS to default. I even had Best Buy run a 4-hour long diagnostic and all the hardware is in perfect working order. I have called HP technical support multiple times but everything they ask me to do doesn't help. They have sent me replacement disks 2 times thinking that the disks themsevles were defective.

I don't understand. There obviously isn't an operating system becuase I deleted it. I want to boot from the CD to install an operating system, and the boot order in the BIOS is set to do that. Why doesn't this happen?

I don't know what else to try. I've looked all over the internet for an answer.

Advertisements

Artellos

Artellos

Tech Secretary

• Global Moderator
  • 3,915 posts
Hello tox0tes,

What things has HP Support let you try?
Do you have any USB devices plugged into the computer while trying to boot?

Regards,
Olrik

tox0tes

tox0tes

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
There are no USB devices plugged in. HP had me try basic things such as resetting the BIOS to default, messing around with the boot order, running the BIOS hard drive diagnostic, switching between SATA and non-SATA hard drive in BIOS, booting from other CDs, and other minor things that didn't help. After about an hour of troubleshooting, they wanted me to send my laptop in for further inspection for $300, but I ended it there.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Try to run another operating system and see if you can run the computer.

Download Puppy Linux from my list of links below. Download "puppy 2.16.1 seamonkey fulldrivers.ISO". Burn the ISO file to create a bootable CD. For this purpose you can download BurnCDCC from the links below. It's a very simple tool, used exclusively to burn ISO files.

Insert the disk into the CD/DVD drive and boot the computer. If it doesn't boot, please set boot order in the BIOS so that the CD drive is first priority boot device. Click the icon that looks like a pen drive and see if your hard disk shows up.