Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

External harddrive not working

• Please log in to reply

yasin123456

yasin123456

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hello all

Firstly i'd like to say that i've had several external harddrives and am quite confortable dealing with basic problems, but this one is beyond me so any help would be much appreciated.

The external hard drive is a maxtor personal storage 3200, 500gb. I'm running windows xp home on a dell.

I was downloading a file (it may have contained a virus) to the external harddrive when my computer crashed. Did a hard restart and computer screwed up, i've managed to reinstall everything so computer now working fine, problem is i cant sort out the external hd.

When i plug it in the computer recognises something has been plugged in but no mention of it on my computer,. When i check anything to do with the external harddrive (eg device manager, system in the control panel, safely remove hardware) nothing happens, the moment i remove the ext hd then it loads up, while its plugged in nothing. If i plug it in before i start up the computer, the computer doesnt start up, again the moment i unplug it it starts up immediately. Tried using xp cd to reformat it but again the moment i plug it in computer freezes, as soon as i remove it computer works fine again. Same problems occur when trying to run it in safe mode.

Any help would be great.

Thank You

Advertisements