Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Overheating, fan problems and more!

• Please log in to reply

• PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
Hello,

I have quite the list of problems that i seem to be experiencing... for a while my computer (Toshiba Satellite A205) has been getting rather hot and the fan was running at full power all of the time. Just recenty i noticed the heat problem getting worse and worse and i looked and the fan refuses to run. I think this may be becasue of a clogged heatsink or even the fan itself just quit on me due to overuse. Obviously this is a sizeable problem lol. Also, I have been noticing my CPU running at 100% or near constantly even under small ammounts of processing (causing even more heat) which has been thusly slowing my system down even more. my RAM is only ever about 50% even when the CPU is running full speed which leaves me stumped n upgrade ideas seeing as my CPU is the one causing low speeds and my RAM isnt even fully utilized (postulating here). I do do some gaming from time to time and a lot of video and image work so i am in the market for a new and powerful graphics card. Im even willing to be a bit overzealous and go above my needs which, are always growing. I looked through newegg.com and i was clueless about what brand or part i would need for my computer or even what level would satisfy my needs. If anyone could rn me through some general (or specific) ideas of things i should get that would be amazing. I'm thinking NVIDIA for the GPU but i also dont know what other peripherials i would need to compliment that... cheap is good but quality is my main concern. Most anything wll be better than the intel chipset that came standard!

also one last note... is replacing the CPU with an upgraded one a huge ordeal if at all possible?

And ive been getting a CMOS error at startup which has increaced in frequency since the fan went out and evne more so after fighing off the a nasty trojan that got me (many hours or work lol).

Thank you very much in advance and sorry for being long winded!

Edited by 11010110, 03 September 2008 - 12:31 PM.

Advertisements

CrazyIvan007

CrazyIvan007

• PipPip
  • 87 posts
Upgrading processor is simple. Just pull out & drop in the new one.

But, you need to address your heating problem first. I would unplug your system and get the vacuum out with the soft-haired attachment and run it through your computer, get it cleaned out as best you can. Check your fans, make sure they are all running, and not making strange noises. If they are, a bearing may be bad and you may need to replace the fans. Case fans can be had for $10 off the net, so not a big cost there.

What is your experience with internal computer workings and hardware?

While your in the case, get the motherboard info off of it while you are in there. This will let us know what kind of video card and processor your Mobo can handle. Also, check your Power Supply and let us know the brand and the total Wattage (and model number if you can), as some video cards require a certain level of Wattage and Amps to run properly. So this will help us offer the best option for a processor as well as a video card given your current setup.

Your CPU running at full power for even menial tasks typically means that your Registry is becoming overwhelmed with crap information. When asked to do a small task, it must sift through all that crap to get down to business. Best option would be to do a fresh install of Windows. Of course, if you upgrade your hardware, it would be best to wait until you have new hardware before reinstalling Windows. Other thing may be that the processor is damaged from the overheating and it must work overtime to get the same things done that it would when it was running at normal temperatures.

As for the GPU... From my experience, ATI is better for Photo and Video editing. And, now, ATI is a competetive product in the Gaming world. I have only used Nvidia the last 8 years, but I have an ATI card in my new computer. It works a lot better than my Nvidia 8600GTS on my old one. But, the old one works, no doubt.

Edited by CrazyIvan007, 03 September 2008 - 01:15 PM.

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
I have extrememly limited expreience with laptops but some knowledge of desktop systems. the main fan by the cooling duct (easily visible from the bottom) i dont know which one it is lol never runs anymore... about the others i have no clue as ive never taken my laptop apart save one time where i did a new keyboard install. I clean out the registry reguarly so i dont think that could be a problem. I hate reinstalling windows lol i had to re do my old dell desktop countless times lol and i dont have my vista disk on me (im up at school and the disk is at home) which is a showstopper there but i guess that part can wait till later. I wouldnt even know how to go about pulling apart this thing lol. Also no vaccum here sadly lol. I know more about how to fix more software related thigns than i do hardware and even that knowledge is limited. Ill work on ripping this baby arpart and see what i can find and get back to you thanks again!

CrazyIvan007

CrazyIvan007

• PipPip
  • 87 posts
WHOOPS... I didn't realize it was a laptop. I can't do a lot to help you there...but the cleaning and reinstallation should be your priority right now.

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
yeah ive never worked wth a laptop before and it shows lol. I got pretty far until i encoutered the modem card and sucessfuly managed to pull the wire from the socket... frustrated i put the computer back togather and oddly enough notice no immediate reppercussions. im online wired and wifi lol. sigh... i blame low potassium levels for the shaky hands today. usually i get this stuff on my own but i think its time to shell out for a professional. lol thanks for the info tho onthe new parts. everything is stock if that answers your question on what kind f parts are there. if you have anymore hardware advece or possible picks im still wide open for advice! thank you once again

Jonesey

Jonesey

• PipPipPip
  • 335 posts

I clean out the registry reguarly so i dont think that could be a problem

Not something normally recommended - proceed with extreme caution!!!!!