Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Help with building new PC with old parts.

• Please log in to reply

TehCrysis

TehCrysis

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Hi, I'm pretty smart when it comes to software and stuff, but I'm not much of a smartass when it comes to hardware.. I'll just go straight out.

I bought the GT5082 about 2 years ago, when I had no idea of hardware, and had no knowledge that pre-build PCs suck. Now, I still use it.. but since a year ago, I regretted it. So now, my "Foxconn C51GU01", which came with the GT5082's PCI-E slot broke.. I'm pretty pissed, because now I have to run this crappy 6100. I hate bad graphics cards. I'd rather use a 8500GT.

So anyways, I'm tired.. so long story short, I want to rebuild a PC.. I want to still use my processor, hard drive, ram, etc., but I want to change my motherboard and case.. I still want to keep my OS, etc. I know that one bad move, and I can lose expensive parts. So can anyone give me a detailed tutorial, on how to rebuild a PC with a new Mobo and case?

(Oh and also, the reason I dont just get a new mobo/case and just make it easier is because the "Foxconn C51GU01" is BTX, and I want an ATX. BTX motherboards are what, 300 dollars normal?)

Thanks. :]

Edited by TehCrysis, 06 September 2008 - 10:52 AM.

Advertisements

CrazyIvan007

CrazyIvan007

• PipPip
  • 87 posts
So that is an AMD Socket 939, probably with PC3200 max supported memory, right?

You probably have Windows XP Home 32-Bit?

Socket 939 is a few years old, as far as technology goes. Most of the Mobo's you can get ahold of now are perfectly fine. I would go with some of the main brands:

MSI
ASUS
Biostar
EVGA
GIGABYTE

The other brands are kind of questionable.

The problem you may run into is finding one, because of the out-dated design.

I looked at NewEgg and TigerDirect, and didn't come up with good results.

I found this at ZipZoomFly:
http://www.zipzoomfl...ductCode=249611

If you haven't dealt with ZimZoomFly yourself, I can say that ZipZoomFly is a good company. I have ordered from them in the past, and I would put them up there with NewEgg and TigerDirect.

Good Luck.

TehCrysis

TehCrysis

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Thanks for replying. I actually wanted to use an "ASUS A8N-SLI Premium". I looked at that before this problem, and I wanted it. I don't know if it's good though.. Can you verify it? Because on ebay, I think I can get it for 60$ + 20$ shipping with buy it now. And also, do you know a way that I can rebuild? I'm also thinking about a new processor, but I'm on a budget, because I don't raise my own money. I'm not an adult >.<. Can you tell me a good processor when you're on a budget?

TehCrysis

TehCrysis

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Hi, I'm pretty smart when it comes to software and stuff, but I'm not much of a smartass when it comes to hardware.. I'll just go straight out.

I bought the GT5082 about 2 years ago, when I had no idea of hardware, and had no knowledge that pre-build PCs suck. Now, I still use it.. but since a year ago, I regretted it. So now, my "Foxconn C51GU01", which came with the GT5082's PCI-E slot broke.. I'm pretty pissed, because now I have to run this crappy 6100. I hate bad graphics cards. I'd rather use a 8500GT.

So anyways, I'm tired.. so long story short, I want to rebuild a PC.. I want to still use my processor, hard drive, ram, etc., but I want to change my motherboard and case.. I still want to keep my OS, etc. I know that one bad move, and I can lose expensive parts. So can anyone give me a detailed tutorial, on how to rebuild a PC with a new Mobo and case?

(Oh and also, the reason I dont just get a new mobo/case and just make it easier is because the "Foxconn C51GU01" is BTX, and I want an ATX. BTX cases are what, 300 dollars normal?)

Thanks. :]

Edited by TehCrysis, 06 September 2008 - 10:52 AM.

CrazyIvan007

CrazyIvan007

• PipPip
  • 87 posts
That ASUS is a good board.

But, if you are going to upgrade your Processor, I would upgrade to an AM2 socket. There aren't many 939 Socket CPU's to be had anymore...

An AM2 and Processor combo shouldn't cost too much...Probably around $99 to start. Then you would need to upgrade your RAM to DDR2, which can be had for another $24 for 1-2GB and you may or may not need to buy a CPU fan (depends on if the cpu/mobo bundle you buy has one) which can be had for about $9-$15.

But, the only 939 processor I could find is a Single-Core 3800+, which kinda sucks pretty bad...

TehCrysis

TehCrysis

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Thanks for replying. I think I'll just keep my processor. I was thinking about changing to a E8500, but I dont even have a budget, so what's the point of adding on to that? Anyways, Since I'm changing to an ATX, all I have to change is the case? Do I need to change something like my hard drive or something to like make it compatible? Or is an ATX only determined by the case/mobo? Thanks.

CrazyIvan007

CrazyIvan007

• PipPip
  • 87 posts
If you have a Mid-Tower, it will hold an ATX board. If you have a MINI-Tower, then yes, you will need to upgrade your case.

You shouldn't need to change anything, but make sure the Mobo is compatible with your hardware. You probably have an IDE hard drive, and the PC3200 RAM... Check your current power supply and make sure it has the 4-socket power plug that will go into the motherboard. Other than that, I can't think of anything which would cause a problem.

TehCrysis

TehCrysis

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I found my parts. I can list them or just give you the link. I'll list first.

Overall parts

Gateway GT5082 Parts

CMOS Battery
Desktop CMOS Battery $9.95

Cooling Fan
Gateway / eMachines 92mm Case Fan $19.00
Gateway 120mm System Fan $29.00

CPU
AMD Athlon 64 3800+ Skt 939 CPU ADA3800DAA4BW $99.00
AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+ Socket 939 Dual-Core CPU $119.00

Front Bezel
Gateway 6-Bay Micro BTX Bezel - Silver $49.00

Motherboard
Gateway Foxconn C51GU01 Motherboard 105552, 4006111R $249.00

Power Supply

Gateway/eMachines 300 Watt Power Supply no SATA $49.00

Software

Gateway InterVideo WinDVD 4 $15.00

GT5082 Memory Info

Standard Memory 2.0 GB = 512 MB (removable) + 512 MB (removable) + 512 MB (removable) + 512 MB (removable)
Maximum Memory 4.0 GB
Memory Expansion 4 sockets
Memory Comments PC3200 DDR SDRAM DIMMs. Supports Dual Channel DDR.
CPU Type 2.0GHz AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+
Model Comments NVIDIA GeForce 6100 Chipset.

Hard Drive Info

Hard Drive
Hard Drive Capacity 250 GB

Hard Drive Interface IDE

Hard Drive Rotation Speed 7,200 RPM

Controller Type IDE

Custom bolding from me so it's easier to see.

Overall parts
http://www.skyline-e...ategory_ID/5179.

Memory Info
http://www.memorysto...ewayGT5082.html

Hard Drive Info
http://www.dealtime....5082-Desktop-PC

So obviously, I have a MICRO-BTX... So I'll need a new case. So I think these parts might work! All I need to know what to do now is that I need to find out how to take out these components..

Thanks guys.
Can you tell me if it's compatible, just to make sure?

Edited by TehCrysis, 05 September 2008 - 10:28 PM.