Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

IP address not renewing on wireless network

• Please log in to reply

• Pip
  • 1 posts

I am now on an unsecured wireless network connection and I have went to run> ipconfig /release and saw that the IP address was released.

then i waited a few seconds and then did run> ipconfig /renew, however i still have the same IP address!!

how can i fix this problem?

thank you very much!

PS i have also thought of proxies and have used them before, they are kind of a hassle. is there any other way? thank you!

Edited by msbrucewayne, 03 September 2008 - 02:56 PM.

• PipPip
  • 26 posts

If you are getting an address from a DHCP server (maybe Router /Modem etc) then it will not issue your address to anyone else for the period that is determined in the setup of the router/modem....usually 3 days

Releasing and then renewing will naturally result in the same address for many reasons too long to explain here

If you want a different address for a specific reason (remember this address has NOTHING to do with your internet address) then go to the networking tab in control panel and specify your IP address manually (remembering to abide by the rules of IP addresses or you will create more problems)

OR..you could access the DHCP server and respecify the addresses to be issued to a different range and start all over again (again remembering to stay within the appropriate boundaries of IP addressing)

Hope this helps

Baudy! :)