Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

I need advice on mobo and front IEEE 1394 bay

• Please log in to reply

bardan

bardan

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Hi, I would like some advice on chosing a motherboard and also where I would find a IEEE1394 Firewire bay for front access ( I would like at least two easily accessable slots at the front)
From the motherboard I would like a top end but without the stuff I don't need.
These thing I do need:

*Prefferably DDR3 RAM slots
*at least 2 IEEE-1394 Firewire connectors to link to front panel
*intel core 2 quad
*maybe wireless networking but don't mind buying PCI card instead.

These things I don't need nor want:

*Energy saving features
*linux internet boot feature (whatever it's called)
*SLI or Xfire
*High end sound ( just basic sound would be good)
*dual LAN

Also if anyone could suggest where I would find a IEEE1394 Firewire bay for front access that would be great.

Thanks, I appreciate your time!

Advertisements

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
I would like to begin by helping you with your terminology.

linux internet boot feature (whatever it's called)

This is known as PXE and is not Linux specific.

SLI or Xfire

Xfire is a chat client for gamers. Not to be confused with the ATI 2 card configuration "Crossfire"

I havn't had a look yet but two firewire ports may be somewhat difficult to find. The standard for cases and boards is one in the back and one in the front. First I would like to discuss with you some of your requirements before recommending a board.

Prefferably DDR3 RAM slots

Any particularly reason you want to pay an extra couple hundred dollars for an almost non-existent performance increase?

ntel core 2 quad

Are you going to be using software that can take advantage of all four cores such as AutoCAD?

Many of things listed in your "don't want" list is going to be standard on any high end board and unavoidable.

bardan

bardan

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Ok I don't really need any lessons in terminology. I would just like the help I asked for. And the features I would like on the board are in the first post. I did say I would prefer DDR3 as there is a performance increase and I don't care how much it costs, And I do need quad core for autocad and other programs. I realise some features are unavoidable. I would just like to know if some of them are avoidable in certain motherboards. As to the firwire ports, never mind because I found what I was looking for.

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts

As to the firwire ports, never mind because I found what I was looking for.

Does this mean you no longer require assistance in selecting a board?

On a side note I nearly always begin my help with additional information gathering. I want to help make the best possible choice for you while helping you learn in the same breath.

Edited by Titan8990, 05 September 2008 - 11:50 AM.

bardan

bardan

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
No I actually found a front bay insert that has 2 x firewire and three USB that can be put into any case. It looks as if it just connects to a pci card. Here's the address incase anyone is interested. hxxp://computercity.com.au/store/product_info.php?products_id=10581
I would still like advice on a good motherboard though. Thanks

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
You need to be careful with those. Sometimes those fail to meet the power requirements of some power hungry device. If you have one USB split in to the 3 then plug 3 MP3 players up to it there is a good chance they will not get enough juice to say, charge their battery.