Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Referred by Malware Forum as can't reboot!

• Please log in to reply

defriesg

defriesg

• PipPip
  • 54 posts
Hi, hope someone can help me!

I've got a virus on my Windows XP which I'm trying to sort out on another form, topic number is 210254 as you may need to refer to this. I've been told to redirect from the Malware Removal Forum to here.

I've also been told to mention that I have tried to invoke "ERUNT back-up" via Recovery Console and failed.. and that I have run this command.. batch erdnt.con from c:\windows\erdnt\01-09-2008> directory..

What happened at the very beginning is that I started following the instructions I had to for the virus but the had to switch laptop off. Windows was shutting down but I thought it had got stuck so I switched the power button. Ok, now I know I shoudn't have done that!! I can't reboot in a normal mode, safe mode, last configuration, safe mode with networking etc. Tried the above recovery bit but that hasn't worked either.

I'm supposed to link this message to the other forum but don't know how to do that yet (suggestions welcome!) but the email confirmation I get is shown below!

Thanks in advance

http://www.geekstogo...view=getnewpost

Edited by defriesg, 04 September 2008 - 05:44 AM.

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
If you do not have a windows xp disk, download the following file: rc.iso....go here..then run chkdsk /r
from the rc.iso cd...be sure the bios is set to boot from the cd drive first...

if you don't have a burning program that will burn .ISO files go here and get burncdcc ..a small FAST no frills iso burning program...

NOTE...do not put a blank cd in until burncdcc opens the tray for you
1. Start BurnCDCC
2. Browse to the ISO file you want to burn on cd/dvd ....in this case its rc.iso
3. Select the ISO file
4. click on Start

make sure in the bios the cd drive is the first boot device....put the cd in the cd drive..boot your computer....

nojoy...
make sure in the bios the cd drive is the first boot device....put the cd in the rc.iso in the cd drive..boot your computer....

then type fixmbr press enter
no joy ....
type in fixboot press enter

Edited by happyrck, 04 September 2008 - 06:56 AM.

defriesg

defriesg

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
Hi, I have a windows xp home edition cd. In the other forum I created the ISO disk but my laptop doesn't like it and totally ignores it so we tried to do the recovery console off the xp cd. Full details are on the other forum if needed. i have changed the bios bit so it is reading from CD rom first. also enabled the network boot or the f12 boot menu one of which was previously disabled. I did the commands etc as advised and then to try and open in a safe mode but it wouldn't open.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
edit...I will go to your old thread and get up to speed on what you have tried..

Edited by happyrck, 04 September 2008 - 08:37 AM.

defriesg

defriesg

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
Hi again, yes I did try the disk but it just won't do anything. I've even put the cd back into my works computer to make sure rc.iso is still on the disk and I did in fact download it!

I put the disk in, switch the laptop on the ACER page comes up, then a blank black screen and then it goes straig to the page that says windows didn't start sucessfully and start in safe mode etc.

Am puzzled!

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
on page 3 post #37 in your old thread.....
you actually got where we need to be...do it again but this time run chkdsk /r and then fixboot and fixmbr

defriesg

defriesg

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
Ah ok, that was using the windows cd, am rubbish at understanding the majority of this so please bear with me!

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
no problem... :)

defriesg

defriesg

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
Ok, so at the moment I typed in chkdsk /r and it said

The volue serial number is 320d-180-

it then proceeded to to some checking. When it finally got to 100% it has now said repeatedly on 16 lines that it is performing additional checking or recovery. Is that supposed to happen? Its a bit slow with the percentage comletion but it is getting there!

defriesg

defriesg

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
Help! It found and fxied one or more errors. So then I get a c: prompt and I typed in fixboot. It now says

the target partition is c: Areyou sure you want to write a newbootsector to the partion c?

Advertisements

defriesg

defriesg

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
Ok, I'm a total idiot! I forgot to put the power cable in and whilst I was waiting for a reply to my post above, the battery died! I'm guessing I need to redo what I've just done? I'm back at the c:\ prompt, do i do the chkdsk /r again or can I skip that? :-(

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
let it run even if it seems to hang at a % or even back up and go over the same place...it should show the progress on 5 different stages ...if it got thru all 5 then take the cd out and reboot..if it doesn't boot into windows as its supposed to ...
then put the cd in and reboot and the try fixboot and fixmber

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts

Ok, I'm a total idiot! I forgot to put the power cable in and whilst I was waiting for a reply to my post above, the battery died! I'm guessing I need to redo what I've just done? I'm back at the c:\ prompt, do i do the chkdsk /r again or can I skip that? :-(

yeprun chkdsk

Edited by happyrck, 04 September 2008 - 10:05 AM.

defriesg

defriesg

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
Help! Didn't see your earlier post so I typed in Exit at the c prompt andI tried to reboot and it didn't work. So I've put the disk back in to get back to the c: prompt. It was going through the windows set up and now I've got a blue screen that says

The file partmgr.sys is corrupted. Press any key to continue.

:-(

Ok, so now I've hit a key to continue, its gone back through the windows set up twice but now I've managed to type in the chkdsk /r. IF when it gets to the end of it it wants to write a newboostersection to partition c, what do I say? And then what do I do next?

Edited by defriesg, 04 September 2008 - 10:37 AM.

defriesg

defriesg

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
Ok, so now back where I was before the power failed :) I typed in fixboot and its come up saying are you sure you want to write a new bootsector to the partion c:

What do I answer please? Am worried you may have logged off for today and not sure what to do or how to leave the computer! I'm at work and office will be locked in 20 mins! :)