Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

WINDOWS FILES HAVE BEEN REPLACED BY UNRECOGNISED FILES

• Please log in to reply

1indy

1indy

• PipPip
  • 76 posts
Hi
I am not sure if i am in the right place here but i will discribe my problem
I am getting a pop up window saying.....
files that are required for windows to run properly have been replaced by unrecognised versions to maintain system stability windows must restore the original versions of these files insert your windows xp home edition service pack 2 cd now.
My comp came with no service discs what if anything can i do and what may have caused this?
Thanyou in advance for any help you may be able to give me

Edited by 1indy, 04 September 2008 - 03:28 AM.

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
you need to run sfc /scannow...
if you don't have a xp cd you will have to borrow one from a friend or coworker...
it has to be the same flavor of xp you have installed...IE: if you have xp pro...the one you borrow has to be xp pro

How to use Scannow sfc...

The main reason for using this utility is when you suspect there may be a problem with a Windows XP system file.

Perhaps you get a dialog box appear informing you of a problem with a .dll file, or your program will just not load! It is therefore worth checking to see if there are any corrupt system files using scannow sfc.

To do this click on start...run...then type in...sfc /scannow

This command will immediately initiate the Windows File Protection service to scan all protected files and verify their integrity, replacing any files with which it finds a problem.

Edited by happyrck, 04 September 2008 - 09:22 AM.

1indy

1indy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts
Thankyou happyrck I will give that a try I have also remembered i do have the discs somewhere but they diddnt come with the comp I had to copy them off the comp I think it took something like 10 discs so will just have to plod through them when i locate them in the meantime i will download what you have suggested
once again Thankyou

1indy

1indy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts
When I run scannow i am just getting the same mesage as in my first post

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
then you will have to repair xp...lowdown is here...