Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Low performance with high hardware

• Please log in to reply

markobaa

markobaa

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Ok greets. I've this specification:

QuadCore Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550, 2833 MHz (8.5 x 333)
Asus P5N-T Deluxe (1 PCI, 2 PCI-E x1, 3 PCI-E x16, 4 DDR2 DIMM, Audio, Gigabit LAN, IEEE-1394)
nVIDIA nForce 780i SLI
2x 2 GB DDR2-800 DDR2 SDRAM (5-5-5-15 @ 400 MHz) (4-4-4-10 @ 266 MHz)
and 2xNVIDIA GeForce GTX 280 (1024 MB)
bios version: ASUS P5N-T DELUXE ACPI BIOS Revision 1106

But I get low FPS in games. In cod2 I can maximum reach up to 600 fps what is very low at that price. Some my friends even get higher with 8800 GT and GTS. In cod4 its the same fps about 500. What can I do? If I play cod2 on public with 34 ppl I cant have all the time 250?!

Help pls,

no viruses > new pc

Advertisements

Philip Kingsley

Philip Kingsley

• PipPip
  • 43 posts
Whatever be the framerate, what u'll get to see is just 60 or 75 fps depending upon your monitor frequency. If u get 600 fps then its good. You dont have to worry thats its lower frame rate. because what u see on monitor is just 60-90 hz depending upon ur settings

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
You should also note that the human eye can not tell the difference over around 60FPS....

Also, your friends high frame rate could be that they chose a dual core CPU which performs better in games. I personally always enable Vsync so my framerate is always capped at 60FPS.

Edited by Titan8990, 04 September 2008 - 12:09 PM.

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
I've never seen a benchmark with a GTX 280 SLI setup getting 500FPS in COD4. This would be ridiculously good. For example, this benchmark shows a GTX 280 SLI setup getting 125FPS at 1280x1024 and all settings maxed. Either you are gaming at a very low resolution and low settings, or you are fabricating numbers. Either way, this seems like a strange joke thread to me.

To add on to what Titan said in case others looking for help read this thread, dual-core CPUs will only outperform quad-core CPUs in games when the game doesn't support more than 2 cores and the dual-core CPU is clocked higher. To me, it seemed like he was saying dual-core CPUs will always outperform quad-core CPUs in games, which isn't the case.

Edited by stettybet0, 04 September 2008 - 12:52 PM.

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
Yes, what I actually meant was a with a dual core and quad core of the same clock rate the dual will outperform it. Last time I had checked there were not any games currently optimized for quad core.

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
Why would a dual-core CPU running at the same speed as a quad-core CPU outperform it? The reason why we tend to recommend dual-core CPUs for gaming is that higher clocked dual-core CPUs can typically be purchased for less than lower clocked quad-core CPUs. But, assuming the application won't utilize more than two cores, it would run the same on a dual-core CPU as on a quad-core CPU, assuming all other variables are the same.

Also, many games take advantage of quad core CPUs. Some popular examples are Supreme Commander, Lost Planet, Hellgate: London, Splinter Cell: Double Agent, all Source-based games (Half-Life 2 series, CounterStrike: Source, etc.), all CryEngine2-based games (just Crysis right now), and all Unreal 3-based games (Unreal Tournament 3, Gears of War, Mass Effect, and many others).