Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Check Disk Error

• Please log in to reply

nonothingofpc

nonothingofpc

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Ok, I have been reading through here trying the different advice posted, but I have a little problem.

I follow the steps ending with chkdsk /f /r c: then Y. I reboot. It goes straight back to desktop. I can't get chkdsk to actually start. When I try to do it manually it fails.

Any help please?

I have no errors, no crashes, and no startup problems. Only error I seem to get lately is when using a graphic heavy game, it works fine, then randomly slows down to almost frame by frame. But that is a graphic driver issue.

Check Disk just will not start and my C - Dirty. How can I actually get check disk to run?

Edited by nonothingofpc, 04 September 2008 - 12:15 PM.

Advertisements

DanielOz46

DanielOz46

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
What is it that you are trying to do? Remember Chkdsk is an old DOS utility. It was used for checking for physical errors on whatever drive you were trying to check. It also will find any "lost" files or file sectors. If you are just going to the RUN option in the Start menu, the path to chkdsk is not defined. I take it you are running XP? Try looking for the .exe file under Windows, System 32. Click run, then browse to the directory and click Open. After chkdsk.exe leave a space and type /f

That should do it.

nonothingofpc

nonothingofpc

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
I do that it goes to the first phase, and about 98% just closes the window. And if I try to run a chkdsk after reboot, it never runs it like I designate it to.

My problem is, something is preventing me from running chkdsk on my laptop. Like it starts up and towards the end of phase 1 ( if I go through computer, right click, goto properties, click tools, and run it with just checking for errors ( not the option to fix errors ) and says Windows can't complete the check disk. If I click fix bad sectors as well, it will ask to perform on restart. I click yes, I restart and it goes straight back to windows. If I do it manually through command prompt it gets to phase 1 about 98% and closes the window. Any ideas?

DanielOz46

DanielOz46

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
Try turning off any anti-virus software that may be running. Will the chkdsk run and check a floppy or CD drive?

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Try starting it in safemode.