Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Maintaining your Machine

* * * * * 8 votes

• Please log in to reply

eevoh

eevoh

• PipPip
  • 31 posts
I have a quick question. why do you guys suggest using jkdefrag when windows comes with a disk defragmenter? arent they the same?

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Yes and No.
Auslogics and JKdefrag from what we have experienced do a much better job of defragging then Windows internal defrag program.
In the case of Auslogics I have found it to do the job faster and gives you a summary at the end to show exactly what it defragged and how much speed you pick up.

eevoh

eevoh

• PipPip
  • 31 posts
i see
and yeah jkdefrag took me quite a while.. a few hours

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
It will also depend the capacity of your drive and how badly fragmented it is.

Artellos

Artellos

Tech Secretary

• Topic Starter
  • Global Moderator
  • 3,915 posts
Defrags -do- take a long time to complete :)
JkDefrag actually released a version 4.0.
I'll edit this guide soon to reflect any changes.

Regards,
Olrik

mcjenniffer

mcjenniffer

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
I am new to your site, and had a few questions. I have followed your advice to speed up my computer and so far nothing has helped. I have spoken with local computer service places and they all want me to bring in my CPU so they can delete it and start fresh, and that is not an option I am willing to take yet. Seems that is their answer for everything. My computer runs extremely slow, I have tried a lot of programs to speed it up, clean it out, etc...and nothing has helped, now I am afraid I may have done somethng wrong and screwed it up royally.

Artellos

Artellos

Tech Secretary

• Topic Starter
  • Global Moderator
  • 3,915 posts
Hey mcjenniffer,

This topic is meant for question regarding the information given in the guide :)
Please start a new topic in one of the Operating System forums. :)

Regards,
Olrik

wookiee

wookiee

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
Nice guide! :)

Artellos

Artellos

Tech Secretary

• Topic Starter
  • Global Moderator
  • 3,915 posts
Thank you very much :)

Regards,
Olrik

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Also as a thought to be included in the guide - watch your hard drive free space! I've found the more full the OS drive (or partition) is, the slower it goes.

Especially once you hit around the 75-80% full mark, that's a lot of data for the drive to be accessing for you. It's well and truly by this point I recommend to upgrade to a larger hard drive - or install another one and move some data across.

Obviously for the best results, move any data around first before defragmenting.

If you don't know about your hard drive space, simply open up Computer and right-click on your OS drive - usually C: and then select Properties. You'll be presented with a nice pie chart showing your current status. Feel free to start a new topic in hardware if you then need assistance in upgrading or adding another drive to move the data. :)

Troy

Advertisements

NeonFx

NeonFx

Malware Removal Dude

• Expert
  • 3,798 posts
Did something happen to this thread? I don't see the guide as the first post anymore.

Artellos

Artellos

Tech Secretary

• Topic Starter
  • Global Moderator
  • 3,915 posts
Hmmm, Neither do I.
I will ask someone higher up :)

Regards,
Olrik

Artellos

Artellos

Tech Secretary

• Topic Starter
  • Global Moderator
  • 3,915 posts
And it's fixed :)
Just some.. minor errors :)

Regards,
Olrik

NeonFx

NeonFx

Malware Removal Dude

• Expert
  • 3,798 posts
Oh look, there it is :) I wanted to refer someone to this yesterday from the chatroom but I couldn't find it.

Thank you

NeonFx

NeonFx

Malware Removal Dude

• Expert
  • 3,798 posts
JKDefrag is now known as MyDefrag. Its options and interface are now more user friendly as well.

MyDefrag

Using MyDefrag