Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Maintaining your Machine

* * * * * 8 votes

• Please log in to reply

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP

Cleaning ? I only carry out minor maintenance and have no time for drastic measures. For this I use ATF every day at shutdown - this is an excellent little program and has never given any trouble - everybody should have it.

Unfortunately, the developer of this program has removed the download link from his site, and I don't think it's being maintained any longer. We recommend TFC now. It's written by OldTimer, who also writes OTL and other tools we use. The advantage of this tool is that the developer is onsite and available for questions, if needed.

Advertisements

donnag35044

donnag35044

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
:) sorry but this didnt work on my computer :)
is there anything else i can try my computer keeps saying warning running low on virtual memory and keeps freezing up computer says it dont need defraging i remove most of the programs i've added in the past my ram is susposed to be 512 mb but its only showing 447 rams no matter what i remove or how much that number aint changing i'm currently in panic mode here can you help before my computer completely crashes :yes:

donnag35044

donnag35044

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
i also installed avg antivirus on my computer and scanned it it found 2 trogens

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

i also installed avg antivirus on my computer and scanned it it found 2 trogens

I suspect that you have some malware on your computer causing issues that we are not able to solve through means we can use here in the Tech Forums. I suggest you read the 'Start Here' topic found HERE. With these self-help tools you have a high chance of fixing the problems on your own. If you are still having problems after following Step 3 of the guide, continue with Step 4 and 5 and post in the Malware Forum. If you are unable to run any programs, Please create a topic stating what you have tried so far and that you are unable to run any programs. Also, Please do NOT post the logs in this thread.

If you are still having issues after the malware expert gives you a clean bill of health, Please return to THIS thread and we will pursue other options to help you solve your current problem(s).
Add a link to this topic so that malware tech can see what steps have been taken here

catpoop

catpoop

• PipPip
  • 95 posts
What free ant-virus protector can you recommend I use with Google Chrome for my XP that doesn`t chew up alot of memory?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
MSE, Avast or Avira are the three we recommend the most.
Personally I would recommend Avast or MSE as I have Avast on my system and MSE on my wife's system. Both do a very good job and are very easy on system resources.

catpoop

catpoop

• PipPip
  • 95 posts
Thanx! Do you have that download link?
Thanx

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
MSE

catpoop

catpoop

• PipPip
  • 95 posts
One says Microsoft & another says Avast.I have the microsoft right now & AVG does not like my computer.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
MSE is Microsoft and the Avast link is in my signature below or you can get it from the following. You should not have more then one active running AV as it can cause false positives to be reported.
Please download Avast from my signature below. Please make sure you do the registration as it is good for a year or more. When it is due simply just reregister it.
Avast in my opinion is better because:

It's FREE to the Home User
It Updates it's Definitions daily
You can scan Individual Files, Folders and Drives
No buying new versions every year

http://www.avast.com...avast-home.html

Advertisements

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP
Catpoop,

When you say AVG doesn't like your computer, is that what you currently have installed? If so, you should uninstall AVG prior to installing either MSE or Avast. Never have twwo antivirus programs installed at once.

Sari

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
catpoop

It is, really a question of which you find, amongst the high regarded ones, is most suitable to YOU.

As you have been advised, NEVER run more than one, in real time protection.
You MAY find reports, on the various forums, relating a particular product, that it can safely run with others.

Our advice in relation to anti-virus programs running in real-time would be to ignore those suggestions..

For further information on various products - you may find this link helpful
http://www.geekstogo...yware-software/

You will have seen that my colleague rshaffer61 uses Microsoft Security Essentials on ONE computer and Avast on another.

I tried AVAST and went back to MSE - BUT do not let that influence you - as I said it is your choice.

Microsoft Security Essentials
1. FREE

2.On Custom scan - you can also scan individual drives, folders

3. It updates its definitions and on scheduled scan, you can configure it to check for updates before scanning.
OR you can if you do NOT use scheduled scanning which I do NOT, as I prefer to scan when I wish to - simply click on Updates on the main window. It will then report either Your definitions are Up to Date or it will check for updates.

4. By right clicking on any folder or file - you can scan that individual file - from the right click without going through the MSE user interface. - for instance on your new download before installation.

As rshaffer61 has said, these also apply of course to AVAST.

I prefer Microsoft Security Essentials - as I said at the start of my post, it is which you find suits you BEST.

catpoop

catpoop

• PipPip
  • 95 posts
Thank you kind Sir!!

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
You are welcome, please do not hesitate to post if you have any further queries.

rilee16

rilee16

• PipPip
  • 16 posts

3. Many programs on start-up
Having many programs in the startup will slow your computer down. Taking out programs that aren't necessary on startup will reduce the resource requirements on boot and will generally make the PC run faster. To remove programs from your startup list, follow the instructions below.

XP Users:

Open Start Menu and select "Run..."
In the run box type: msconfig and press enter.
A window will appear, go to the Startup tab.
In the startup tab, disable tick boxes on all the programs that don't necessarily need to be started at boot.

I did this, and when I restarted my computer so the changes would go through I got a notification that the System Configuration Utility had started in Selective Startup. I need to know what this means, as it then told me that I'd need to manually change to Normal Startup.