Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Limited or No Connectivity

* * * * * 2 votes

• Please log in to reply

Artellos

Artellos

Tech Secretary

• Topic Starter
  • Global Moderator
  • 3,915 posts
jr630, This is the not thread to help people with their actual issues.
That would be the networking forum :)

Regards,
Olrik

Advertisements

adam_87

adam_87

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Artelios guide is quite basic and does not cover all possible causes. I usually follow this guide:Limited or no connectivity when I experience network problems, works all the time!

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
I had an onsite appointment today to fix this issue. Laptop "A" worked perfectly fine with his ethernet cable but laptop "B" (brand new) would not work.

Using laptop "A" I logged in to the modem interface and looked to see if laptop "B" was blocked or anything like that. It was reported as connected! Hhhmmmm.

Then I tried to configure laptop "B" with a good static IP address and access modem interface. Still nothing.

Went back to the workshop and tested laptop "B", worked perfectly fine instantly, not a problem.

Took a brand new modem/router out onsite, configured, and everything worked perfectly fine.

Go figure!

Artellos

Artellos

Tech Secretary

• Topic Starter
  • Global Moderator
  • 3,915 posts

Artelios guide is quite basic and does not cover all possible causes. I usually follow this guide:Limited or no connectivity when I experience network problems, works all the time!

Networking issues can get rather in-depth. The guide I provided was meant to be basic. If you're going to cover -all- the basics in networking you can keep on going. :D
If people can't resolve their issue using my guide I suggest they post in the networking forum and let someone take a look at it.

Regards,
Olrik

Cathyy

Cathyy

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I have a problem with limited connectivity, I don't know what to do any more... :D
I'm not a computer expert, so I need your help, please...
My laptop has the internet connection via router and it just keeps saying "limited connectivity".
The desktop computer (which is directly connected to the router) works fine.
I changed the router, but it didn't help.
I updated router firmware and still nothing.
I guess there's something with my ip, dhcp... but I don't know how to set it.
I have this problem only at home. When I go out with my laptop and connect to public wifi, it works perfectly.
And it's only my laptop which has this problem - a friend of mine brought his laptop and it worked fine.
I'm desperate. :D

cancer0707

cancer0707

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Have a serious connectivity issue cannot use ping or ipconfig from cmd line. errors in abundance. mainly "unable to query host name" windows XP sevice pack 3 Cancer0707

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
cancer0707

This thread - is How-to Guides and Tutorials

It is not the correct place to seek help.
However it is an easy mistake to make.
Please post in the XP forum, creating a new thread. and if you do it now I will reply, or if I have signed off, someone will do so.
Thanks.

kingmar11

kingmar11

• Pip
  • 6 posts
We have 10 desktop in our office..and the newly reformat unit with SP2 have this message..limited or no connectivity..how can I resolve the problem without harming other unit that is connected to internet?
I check the cable with my laptop and I see that there is no problem regarding to the cable..
If I will do this power cycling with our modem..Is there sure that other will not have problem in connecting to the internet..Plss help with this problem

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Kingmar11

This thread - is How-to Guides and Tutorials

It is not the correct place to seek help.
However it is an easy mistake to make.
Please post in the Networking forum, creating a new thread. Someone will help you as quickly as possible.
Thanks. :thumbsup:

kingmar11

kingmar11

• Pip
  • 6 posts
I've posted at the networking forum but no ones answer my tread..plss read and reply to my treads..thanks

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

I've posted at the networking forum but no ones answer my tread..plss read and reply to my treads..thanks

Macboatmaster is assisting you in your topic. :thumbsup:

willyboy244

willyboy244

• Pip
  • 1 posts
i still need some help i did both but it didnt work plz help

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,976 posts

i still need some help i did both but it didnt work plz help

Hi Willyboy244 :welcome:,

Please create a new post describing your problem on the Network section of the forum or in section that matches your Operating System here.

Doing that yo have more changes of getting help.

ITechGuy

ITechGuy

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Hello @Artellos, I encounter this issue many times if I am working on my client's computer. As you have said it's easy to solve but somtimes you have to dig deeper into the root of the problem. If all of the above solutions doesn't work, a System Restore may help in my experience. It could be that a virus, attacked the network services. There are also instances that a system restore will not work. If you type "services.msc" in the "run" command and see a lot of ERRORS, that even a system restore will not work anymore. An OS re-installation will be your best bet.