Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Apartment Network Nightmare

• Please log in to reply

Dreylivude

Dreylivude

• PipPipPip
  • 109 posts
Hello everyone,

I recently moved into an apartment with three other guys and we've been trying to wrap our heads around how to set up a good network. We can get most things to work, just not all, or not all at the same time.

We have one cable modem in the building (Older home with 3 apartments in it).

What we want to have is a wired LAN for the four of us, and a wireless connection for the others in the two apartments below us, without them having access to our network files.

The four of us have 5 desktop computers, 1 ps3, 1 xbox 360, and a wii. We want to have everything we have all connected to the internet and each other, while having a simple unsecured, but isolated wireless connection for those downstairs.

We currently have an 8 port switch, two 5 port switches, a wired router, the cable modem, and a wireless D-link router.

We've tried various configurations but we never had everything connected at once. It seems once a certain amount of things are connected, the rest get router ip address even though they aren't connected to a router. Here is our current configuration/

Posted Image

The reason why we wanted to use switches as the main box is to avoid headaches with port forwarding for online gaming etc.

I hope someone can help, as we'd like to get this sorted out before school picks up.
Thanks in advance.

Edited by Dreylivude, 04 September 2008 - 06:34 PM.

Advertisements

Artellos

Artellos

Tech Secretary

• Global Moderator
  • 3,915 posts
Hello Dreylivude,

Before I get my head around things, could you answer a couple of questions for me?

Is the modem equipped with a DHCP server?
What are the current 'problems' your getting? (Do some desktops not receive internet? Or can only certain Desktops access the internet?
Will one of you be hosting local or on-line games?
Why do you want an unsecured wireless network and not a secured one?
What sort of games will you be playing? (some require more network activity then others)
I don't see the Wii in the current configuration, does the Wii have wireless capabilities?

I think this sums up my questions for now.

Regards,
Olrik

Dreylivude

Dreylivude

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts
Artellos,

Thanks for the response, I'll do my best to answer your questions.

I'm not sure about the modem. It's the standard cable modem that our provider Eastlink gives you, so I'm not sure of the specifications.

The main problems we're having is that we can get most of our desktops and other systems connected and on the internet, but not all. Every time we reset everything we can connect computers and desktops, but it seems once we hit an unknown limit of something the rest of the machines won't connect. We've connected things in various orders, and it always seems that the last few machines we try don't get connected. When we look at their ipconfig we see that they are getting router ips (like 192.168.0.5) instead of the standard ips for our area and provider that the other machines are getting. It's not specific to machine, just the order in which they are connected one by one.

Yes, we will be hosting local and online games. We play shooters like TF2 and BF 2142 online, and RTS's like C&C3 through LAN. Xbox live will also be a factor.

We need an unsecured wireless network for the residents in the apartments below us. The internet connect for our building (since it's just a 3 apartment complex that was converted from an old home) is for the whole building. We were provided a D-Link wireless router by our landlord, and We need it unsecured so they both can connect to it without having to worry about passwords. We also want to make sure that the wireless connections are isolated so that they won't be able to see our shared folders, printers, etc.

The wii connects through wireless, though I don't use the internet on it often, so it's not a priority.

Hope that answers your questions, and thanks for the help.
Drey

Artellos

Artellos

Tech Secretary

• Global Moderator
  • 3,915 posts
I'd like to see some more information. Please follow the steps below.
  • Go to Start -> Run.
  • In the Box, type in "cmd".
  • A black box will appear. Type in: "ipconfig /all".
  • A lot of information will appear, Please right click the black window and hit mark.
  • Select every line of text you recieved and hit "enter" to copy.
  • Then paste it into your next reply.

Please do this for Desktop 1,2 and 4. (In the set-up shown in the original post)

Regards,
Olrik