Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

letter d (without the shift button) letter e

• Please log in to reply

nicoleb1968

nicoleb1968

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi there,

I have a weird situation on my daughter's computer.
Whenever she enters the letter d with out using the shift button the browser window minimizes and when you press it again it maximizes it again. Also when she enters the letter e (either lower case or capital) the calculator pops up.

Has anybody experienced this before and if so, how do we fix it?

Thanks

Advertisements

nicoleb1968

nicoleb1968

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
also now 3 opens the "my computer" folder.

baudwalker

baudwalker

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
If the unit is a laptop check that the "Fn" button is not stuck on

This key modifies the output to make up for the smaller keyboard real estate

alternatively some sort of keyboard modifier software has been applied..no idea what but these can also cause this

and yet again if a different keyboard or language has been specified in Windows strange things happen

There are no doubt many other causes as well but there are a few to check out

Baudy! :)

nicoleb1968

nicoleb1968

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thanks,

I will check into those suggestions and update.

Artellos

Artellos

Tech Secretary

• Global Moderator
  • 3,915 posts
Hello nicoleb1968,

This sounds as if the Windows Key is stuck. Though I'm not sure why the calculator pops up on the 'e' button as it should show the explorer.
But Windows Key + D = Desktop short-cut. Minimizing everything active to the task bar, and if you press it again opens everything back up.
I suggest you take a flat headed screwdriver and 'pop' the keys out of the keyboard. Then clean the keyboard under the keys. This might do the job.
Also make sure the spring used to bounce the key back up is in place as it should.

Regards,
Olrik