Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Strangely running out of memory....

• Please log in to reply

Moca Lade

Moca Lade

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
Hello, recently my family purchased an external hardrive to handle the vast amount of data we keep on our computer, as it mentioned that there was little free space left.

We moved all of the music and image files to the external drive, and cleared several gigabytes.

But lately, the computer has been conitnuously indictating that there is less than 200megabytes of free space left on the C drive. I'd go into C and delete a few of the older hefty files to placate the problem, but a few days later the same thing would happen. I've probably cleared about a gigabyte of old files trying to solve this problem, but it keeps coming up. I always clear the Recycle bin/cookies/internet files ect regularly, so I know that can't be it.

I recently went around the C drive trying to find where the majority of the files taking up space were.

C:\WINDOWS Is taking up 52 or so of our 76 Gigabytes. I know this is an important folder obviously, but there seems to be a lot of useless data in there. Does anyone know what I can do to clear space on my computer? And is is possible that I have some kind of replicating virus taking up space? (or any other file for that matter).

Thanks.

Advertisements

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
You are likely getting some log or temp files, probably generated by some kind of errors. Check your event logs to see what kind of errors are generated. Double click on an entry to see the details. You will need to enable view all files and just explore the Windows folder to see where the problem is.

Moca Lade

Moca Lade

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
I'm not exactly sure what you want me to look for, but it seems that files are created every few minutes.

http://img118.images...ge=errorgs2.png

Here's basically what I'm looking at.

Edited by Moca Lade, 05 September 2008 - 09:50 PM.

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
Right click on the folders in Windows and see how large each one is. You are looking for a bloated folder with excessive files. You can view the Event Logs from the Control Panel, Administration.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
On my computer windows takes about 3 Gigabyte.

1: Please download CCleaner from the list below. Install it, omitting Yahoo toolbar. In addition to the the default settings of "Cleaner option" click "old prefetch data". Run the cleaner few times until there is nothing left to be cleaned.

2: Run disk defrag.

3: Use the link to the malware forum and run the preliminary steps.

4: Report what happens.

Moca Lade

Moca Lade

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
I found the problem. Installer is 52 gigabytes. There's a TON of useless looking files in there. Anyone know what I can delete?

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
52GB for Windows folder on XP is enormous.

Get DriveSpacio: http://www.drivespac...m/download.html, which will show you what exactly is taking space.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
What is installer. Where is located?

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Also, "useless looking files" are usually the most important ones....LOL

Moca Lade

Moca Lade

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Also, "useless looking files" are usually the most important ones....LOL

>_>

I went through and deleted a large numbers of the files.

Now several programs are no longer installed, including Microsoft Office. I tried pasting the deleted files back into the folder, but nothing has changed. I don't have the disk containing microsoft office. Are there any other options I can do to get back the programs???

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Your main option is to ask around, first, and then do things, not the other way around.
I don't want to sound harsh, but this is exactly what happens, when you start monkeying with computer, not being sure what you're doing.
If you messed up any program, it has to be reinstalled, and for that you need CD.
As for M$ Office, this is not a big deal. You can get Open Office. Does pretty much same things, and it's free.
What I'm afraid of, you might have deleted some important system files.

Edited by Broni, 15 September 2008 - 04:07 PM.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts

What is installer. Where is located?

We had a good reason for asking for details.