Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Cannot access data on slave drive

• Please log in to reply

wenpeek

wenpeek

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Ok, I consider myself to be pretty savy about my computer but this one has me stumped. I got a new desktop pc and I wanted to remove the secondary drive from my old pc and install it as a secondary in my new computer because it has all of my files on it. I removed and installed the drive into my new computer making the orginal hard drive the master and the secondary as a slave. Everything booted up just fine and the secondary drive shows up just fine in device manager. But, when I go into Explorer to access my data this is what I see:

The secondary drive has been named to BOOTWORK (D) with the following files listed:

I386 Folder
ATRSBOOT File
NTDETECT.COM MS DOS Application
NTLDR File
WINNT.SIF SIF File
WINPE.ISO ISO File

So then I decided to put my secondary drive back into my old computer and just try and burn everything to a CD and copy it that way. Well when I installed it back into my old computer it tells me the same thing as it did in my new computer! I'm so frusturated I'm about to pull my hair out. What am I doing wrong?

Both systems are running Windows XP on the master drives. The secondary drive was for data storage only. Please tell me I haven't lost all of my data somehow!! Any advice would be a big help!!

Advertisements

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Hi there

Can you go to the Run command on the Start menu and type: diskmgmt.msc (click OK)

In disk management (in the lower half of the window) you should see your drives displayed graphically. Your master drive should be disk 0 and the slave drive disk 1.

In the graphical representation of disk 1 (slave) can you describe exactly what you see please? i.e:

1) what is the total size of the drive (stated on the left, under 'Disk 1')?
2) how many partitions are there on the slave drive? You will see at least one partition,labelled 'D'. Are there any others?
3) Is there is unallocated space on the drive?
4) For each partition on the slave drive, including the D drive, can you tell me what size each partition is? What file format each partition is (i.e. FAT/FAT32/NTFS)?
Any other information given about that drive?

Alternatively, if you prefer, you can just take a snapshot of the disk management window (using ALT+PrintScreen, paste it into MS Paint, save it as a JPG) and insert it into your post.