Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

What are the must have apps for your computer?

• Please log in to reply

brettxw

brettxw

• PipPipPip
  • 208 posts
So I would like to know what are the must haves for apps to have on yoru computer?? Not talking like antivirus programs or security programs, Im talking like...ie )Lime Wire, Photoshop, winamp.. etc.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
There is no "must have" list. A lot depends on what you're doing with the computer as to what is essential and what isn't.
Somebody who goes on the internet exclusively and prints the odd page off does not need Photoshop, for example.

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP
Limewire and other P2P programs are not must haves, by any means. Beyond the possible legality issues of filesharing, it also leaves you extremely vulnerable to a whole host of viruses, spyware, etc. As Neil said, your need for apps is driven by what it is you use your computer for.

brettxw

brettxw

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts
Oh. I didnt mean to like start a bad topic here on legal apps, Im sorry. I was just curious what people have for apps they think are good to have on their pc. Sorry this will prob be a dead thread then.

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP
There's no reason for this to be a dead thread. I think it's interesting to see what people have - there's a lot of good shareware, as well as purchased apps, and this can be a good way to find out about them. I'd contribute, but as a boring geek housewife I don't have much to contribute.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
This could be interesting. It has already been said, but I will say it again that the apps run will depend on the individual. What are their interests and hobbies? Their likes/ dislikes? What is their job. Because we all know we take our work home with us.

I have 2 main computers. 1 is my home computer. The other is 1 that I "play" with. I use for testing software, etc. They pretty much have the same apps on them.

MS office 2000
Adobe reader
ISO buster
burncdcc
Spybot SD
Ultimate zip
AVG free virus scanner (but I am looking to replace it) This is on 1 computer)
Network asociates scanner on the other comp
Winpatrol
Norton ghost for backup
Syncback for backup
atomic clock
log me in for remote access to computer
Printscreen for image capture
Quick screenshot maker for image manipulation
Ancestry Family tree
CCleaner
ATF cleaner (beginning to like this better)
FTP commanderHD Tune
Adaware 2007 (looking to replace this. Its not like the old version)
MBM mother board monitor
PDF exchange viewer
MS street and trips
Cleanup (experimenting with this)
Beclean (experimenting here also)
Malwarebytes antimalware
Nero

and I know I am missing a few.

And when I am fixing computers and trouble shooting, I use a host of others.

Amaterasu

Amaterasu

• PipPip
  • 45 posts
nCleaner Second Generation is also a good utility to keep around to clean your system.

TheQuickBrownFox

TheQuickBrownFox

• PipPipPip
  • 714 posts
ATF Cleaner --> it is so addictive! (maybe it's because of the sound it makes) :)
Yahoo! Messenger
Winrar
PowerDVD
VLC Player
Winamp
Notepad++ (for programming, it's a fast tool for reading code)
Diablo 2 LOD.