Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

laptop won't connect to cable modem

• Please log in to reply

delawaredrew

delawaredrew

• PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
Help!
I just got a Dell laptop running XP and have been unable to connect it to my cable modem. I know the modem and cable are fine as I am using them right now on this desktop. After running thru the motorola surfboard installation successfully IE still does not see the connection. My ISP (mchsi.com) allows multiple devices.
What I've done:
Installed the motorola stuff (both rj-45 and usb scenarios-separately)
run ipconfig and got a seemingly valid IP address using the ethernet jack
checked the internet options and networking settings

Other info: This laptop came from a woman who did networking for a living and she has software on here that is way above me. There is a network bridge (miniport?) option in the control panel/networking menu that seemed to mess it up, as removing the LAN from the bridge allowed an IP address to be optained.

Anyone ?
Delawaredrew

Advertisements

Guest_jake6535_*

Guest_jake6535_*
Are you able to run it on any other computers? It could simply be a conflict.

delawaredrew

delawaredrew

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
Jake,
Thanks for the response. I forgot to post back last night that I had gotten it working, not sure how but I something I did was right.
Thanks
Drew

any idea about what the miniport and network bridge are?

Guest_jake6535_*

Guest_jake6535_*

Jake,
Thanks for the response.  I forgot to post back last night that I had gotten it working, not sure how but I something I did was right.
Thanks
Drew

any idea about what the miniport and network bridge are?

View Post

Glad to here it. :tazz: