Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

MS XP Service Pack 3

• Please log in to reply

McKnight

McKnight

• PipPip
  • 92 posts
I recently dowloaded this automatic update (against my better judgement); and it appears now as if my computer may be worse off:

Start-up takes much longer than it usually does... with many different Windows screens (i.e. "Please wait" in the upper left corner, etc.) and aesthetics. First of all... is this normal with those who have installed the update (I have not actually tested the performance of the computer since the update)?

If this is not normal then the following - I do not have the original XP Start-up disc and cannot revert back Service Pack 2. From here I have two questions:

1) If I choose to just remove the Service Pack 3 (Add/Remove Programs); will my computer run smoothly without any of the earlier Service Packs?

2) I believe that there was a restore point created (automatic) before the update took place; is this correct? If so... would this be a good idea to do?

Thanks...

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
How to remove Windows XP Service Pack 3 from your computer.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950249

SRX660

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
When you first load the computer after SP3 is installed, it is normal to see two or three "Please Wait" screens and a longer start-up time. These are all one-offs and don't occur on subsequent reboots. If you go to SP3 from SP1 you get an extra screen asking you about Automatic Updates, again a one-off.